Gobis that eat leftovers for 20 g

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 20 gallon high and is there a gobi that can eat leftover food I have a lot of leftover food on the bottom. If so can you list some.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recommend vacuuming your sand, as there is a lot of "leftovers" in your sand that arent edible as they dont have nutritional value. however, small gobies can eat small bits of food which can help in preventing buildup in your sand.

hector/rainford gobies will do a great job eating tiny bits of food in the water as well as the surface of the sand.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 20 gallon high and is there a gobi that can eat leftover food I have a lot of leftover food on the bottom. If so can you list some.
Honestly almost any goby will.
What else is in the tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost any goby will work, but since you're specifically saying around the sand, id recommend a two spot goby as they are sand sifters
I disagree with this as most sand sifters need established 4’ tanks at least to thrive and a sandbed of 2-4”. Their main nutrients come from this and Frozen doesn’t actually supplement most of the nutrients needed in their diet.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with this as most sand sifters need established 4’ tanks at least to thrive and a sandbed of 2-4”. Their main nutrients come from this and Frozen doesn’t actually supplement most of the nutrients needed in their diet.
if you were talkinga bout sand sifting starfish, maybe. but the 2 spot goby. no. they are fine in nano tanks and will readily eat frozen food in addition to them sifting the sand all day. most sites even list them as being able to go in a 10 gallon tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you were talkinga bout sand sifting starfish, maybe. but the 2 spot goby. no. they are fine in nano tanks and will readily eat frozen food in addition to them sifting the sand all day. most sites even list them as being able to go in a 10 gallon tank.
Sand sifting stars and these guys are very similar in care. They generally starve once they’ve removed everything from a sandbed.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you considered blue leg hermit crabs?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get a watchman goby. I have 2 and the food literally hits them in the face and they sit there. Then wake up out of their stupor and snatch some then go hide. Dumb fish

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting stars and these guys are very similar in care. They generally starve once they’ve removed everything from a sandbed.
yea im gonna disagree with you about the gobies as ive seen them lastt a long tie in a bunch of tanks. maybe your experience is different but in mine, they are super hardy fish.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twin spot gobies are amongst the hardest gobies to wean onto frozen food & keep alive, even in my established 60 gallon reef with daily attempts to get them eating i still wasn't able to keep them alive, this is the same experience 90% of other twin spot owners have had, just look them up on the forum. very few have success with them and I've never seen someone keep them successfully in a tank smaller than 40 gallons.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twin spot gobies are amongst the hardest gobies to wean onto frozen food & keep alive, even in my established 60 gallon reef with daily attempts to get them eating i still wasn't able to keep them alive, this is the same experience 90% of other twin spot owners have had, just look them up on the forum. very few have success with them and I've never seen someone keep them successfully in a tank smaller than 40 gallons.
as i said, your experience may be different than mine. they asked for opinions.
i made my suggestion. you made yours. no point in arguing with me over it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you thinks a good sand sifter for you people.
If I’m honest, go for Nassarius and Cerith Snails or Conches over fish. Fish need a lot more nutrients than snails do and overall do better long term in smaller tanks.

If you want a sand dwelling species then these are the best genera to look into;
Cryptocentrus (watch out for max sizes, some can get to 6 inches or more)
Amblyeleotris
Stonogobiops
Lotilia
Discordipinna

I’d avoid the sand sifting genera (Valenciennea, Signigobius, Koumansetta etc) as these all want at least 3’x16” tanks with deeper sand beds. Koumansetta can go with less sand but overall its not worth risking these genera in any tank under 3’ long.
Most other species of goby will work though :)

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diamond goby is to big right
If I’m honest, go for Nassarius and Cerith Snails or Conches over fish. Fish need a lot more nutrients than snails do and overall do better long term in smaller tanks.

If you want a sand dwelling species then these are the best genera to look into;
Cryptocentrus (watch out for max sizes, some can get to 6 inches or more)
Amblyeleotris
Stonogobiops
Lotilia
Discordipinna

I’d avoid the sand sifting genera (Valenciennea, Signigobius, Koumansetta etc) as these all want at least 3’x16” tanks with deeper sand beds. Koumansetta can go with less sand but overall its not worth risking these genera in any tank under 3’ long.
Most other species of goby will work though :)
Thank you

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diamond goby and 2 clowns would probably be fine.

I have the same in a standard 29 gallon.

20 gallon high is a bit small for a diamond goby

If you get a sand sifter be ready for the snow globe.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diamond goby and 2 clowns would probably be fine.

I have the same in a standard 29 gallon.

20 gallon high is a bit small for a diamond goby

If you get a sand sifter be ready for the snow globe.
I was thinking a wheelers shrimp goby is that okay?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back