View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will start with a list of fish I plan to have for my 24g nano reef:
Clown pair
Black cap basslet
6 line wrasse
These are a few I want to add, I also want a goby for sand sifting, but would also like to add a pistol shrimp because I’d like to see them pair and watch how they work together! I wanted a diamond goby, but that apparently don’t pair with pistols. I know the diamonds sift low to the bed so they won’t cover coral or make a mess. Should I just stick with the diamond and say forget the pistol pair, or which goby would pair with a pistol but also sift. I plan to get nassarius snails as well to aid in the sand bed. But I want to add something different to watch! Makes it interesting! I know YWG burry coral so that’s out of the question for sure..

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your tank? The diamond back gobys I've seen at my LFS are pretty big, like 8inches.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from the six line for that size tank, it’s far too small for that particular wrasse. I would lean towards a possum or pink streaked. They are active, the pink streaked will pick at rock work all day. I believe there are a few sand sifter gobies that pair with the pistol, just be sure you do not get a Caribbean pistol, they are more likely not to pair up (especially the blue legged ones). My YWG and tiger pistol patrol the sand bed all day.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from the six line for that size tank, it’s far too small for that particular wrasse. I would lean towards a possum or pink streaked. They are active, the pink streaked will pick at rock work all day. I believe there are a few sand sifter gobies that pair with the pistol, just be sure you do not get a Caribbean pistol, they are more likely not to pair up (especially the blue legged ones). My YWG and tiger pistol patrol the sand bed all day.
Does your YWG cover your coral though? I want the 6 line because I was I formed they take out aptasia.. will the possum and pink do that as well?

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp that I bought as a pair. It is a fun relationship, however they wreck my sand and rocks (should have put the rock on the tank floor, and not on the sand) every day. wah, wah

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very long.. so I guess a diamond is already out of the question.. shoot…

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp that I bought as a pair. It is a fun relationship, however they wreck my sand and rocks (should have put the rock on the tank floor, and not on the sand) every day. wah, wah
My rock will for sure be placed first for this exact reason lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse will not eat aptasia. None that I know of will.
Don’t put corals on the sand if you are worried about covering. Stoniogobiops species of shrimpgoby and the candy cane shrimps aren’t too destructive compared to the larger shrimps and gobies.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your YWG cover your coral though? I want the 6 line because I was I formed they take out aptasia.. will the possum and pink do that as well?
Possum will not do that. I don't think pink streak will do that either.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum will not do that. I don't think pink streak will do that either.
Sad react… lol I’m just on the fence about what to put in this tank now for clean up crew while also being entertaining to watch lol

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the possum wrasse. I have a yellow banded possum wrasse in my 15 gallon and love the little guy. I would advise that you seed your tank with copepods if you decide to get one well in advance. Mine eats frozen, (working on pellets), but I can still see him cruise around the tank picking at the rocks for most of the day. Plus the abundance of copepods kept him busy and healthy. He was too shy the first 3-4 days to come out and eat.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you possibly have a picture of the two together? Weird I know.. but it’s the little exciting pictures!
I actually just made a video of my tank and put it on YouTube if u Wana check it out. In they video you see them both and you see the pistol getting to work plowing sand lol

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just made a video of my tank and put it on YouTube if u Wana check it out. In they video you see them both and you see the pistol getting to work plowing sand lol
I need a link sir! I wanna seeeee

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG doesn’t mess with the sand at all and doesn’t cover corals. It just watches for trouble while the shrimp tends their burrow. It pushes piles of sand around. I have a captive Court Jester goby that sifts sand just a little at a time but does a good job.

I also agree about the wrasses. They don’t eat aiptasia but are great nano fish. I have a possum and a pink streaked together in my 25.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG doesn’t mess with the sand at all and doesn’t cover corals. It just watches for trouble while the shrimp tends their burrow. It pushes piles of sand around. I have a captive Court Jester goby that sifts sand just a little at a time but does a good job.

I also agree about the wrasses. They don’t eat aiptasia but are great nano fish. I have a possum and a pink streaked together in my 25.
The jester doesn’t mess with the pistol at all?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back