Goby and shrimp pairing

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of gobies can pair with a pistol shrimp? I have a diamond goby currrntly - would it be an issue adding another goby that can pair with a pistol shrimp- and would having a cleaner shrimp in there cause any problems

secondly would a midas Blenny and a tailspin Blenny get on or are they incompatible

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most any of the Amblyeleotris, Lotilia, Stonogobiops, and Cryptocentrus gobies are considered "shrimp gobies". Diamond gobies do not pair with shrimp to the best of my knowledge, and cleaner shrimp also do not pair with gobies as well.

Having a cleaner shrimp should not cause excessive problems. Adding shrimp gobies to a tank with a diamond goby should also not be a problem assuming you have the right conditions/habitat for shrimp gobies.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most any of the Amblyeleotris, Lotilia, Stonogobiops, and Cryptocentrus gobies are considered "shrimp gobies". Diamond gobies do not pair with shrimp to the best of my knowledge, and cleaner shrimp also do not pair with gobies as well.

Having a cleaner shrimp should not cause excessive problems. Adding shrimp gobies to a tank with a diamond goby should also not be a problem assuming you have the right conditions/habitat for shrimp gobies.
This why I love this forum appreciate it bud

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have multiple pairs of shrimp gobies/shrimp and can you have some shrimp gobies with no shrimp? Do all of them pair with a shrimp? Asking because I have a tiger pistol shrimp and shrimp goby not paired yet, a dimaond goby and thinking of getting a yellow shrimp goby..so should I get another shrimp as well?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have multiple pairs of shrimp gobies/shrimp and can you have some shrimp gobies with no shrimp? Do all of them pair with a shrimp? Asking because I have a tiger pistol shrimp and shrimp goby not paired yet, a dimaond goby and thinking of getting a yellow shrimp goby..so should I get another shrimp as well?
You can get far more personalized attention by starting your own thread, rather than hijacking another person's thread :) .

You can have shrimp gobies with no shrimp. Multiple pairings of shrimp gobies/shrimp depends on how big the tank is. All shrimp gobies pair with shrimp. But not all gobies pair with shrimp. Diamond gobies (Valenciennea puellaris) do not bond with shrimp.

Also, @Saaqib_Ansari , can you give the scientific name of the "tailspin" blenny? I've never heard of it, but it sounds similar to another blenny I'm thinking of and don't want to give bad answers.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get far more personalized attention by starting your own thread, rather than hijacking another person's thread :) .

You can have shrimp gobies with no shrimp. Multiple pairings of shrimp gobies/shrimp depends on how big the tank is. All shrimp gobies pair with shrimp. But not all gobies pair with shrimp. Diamond gobies (Valenciennea puellaris) do not bond with shrimp.

Also, @Saaqib_Ansari , can you give the scientific name of the "tailspin" blenny? I've never heard of it, but it sounds similar to another blenny I'm thinking of and don't want to give bad answers.
I meant tailspot blenny autocorrect lol

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm....yeah, beats me. I would say a tentative yes? Since Midas blennies tend to be more of a pelagic carnivore than tailspots, which tend to be a benthic herbivore. For better success, I'd probably try a canary blenny (Meiacanthus oulanensis) instead of the Midas (Ecsenius midas).

Back