Goby hiding

Dl0reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I moved my Wheeler Goby into my reef tank out of quarantine and he was doing fine until he went under my sand bed. I was okay until he was missing for about 5 minutes. Being a noob that I am I flipped the whole sand bed over looking for him and he wasn't anywhere. After i have up i turned on flow and about 2 minutes later I saw him appear out of the sand on the right side of my tank. I have a deep sandbed around 1.5-2 inches thick. He has gone back in and has been missing for 30 minutes. Have any of you're gobies behaved like this. I have a 20 nano, so I don't think he has enough room to completely disappear, but I'm not sure. What are yalls thoughts?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies like cave sand stuff and are sand dwellers by nature. as long as he eats he'll be fine. if you want him to feel more at ease get him a pistol shrimp to pair up with. they don't need them but in nature the shrimp digs the tunnels and the gobie protects the shrimp. some gobies will hide alot and almost never seen. others are out almost all the time. my orange stripe gobie is one thats out most of the time and some times all the way on the left end of the tank, his hole is on the far right end.

byachna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my Diamond Watchman Goby a good 4-5 days before he consistently started coming out of his sand burrow to sift sand and hang out. Honestly, for the first few days I had him in the tank, I barely saw him once he dug his sand burrow. I would open up the stand and look up at the glass and see him squirming around to reaffirm that he was still alive.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back