Goby injury.

PPPPPP42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my pair of YWG that live in the same hole. I think this is the one that is more timid and usually burrows in the sand way underneath the center rock (there is essentially no opening under the rock so I don't know how) while the other one sits in the opening of an actual hole and looks out most of the time. The only way I can ever tell that its still alive is that it comes out when the other one does for feeding though sometimes they don't eat much or miss feeding altogether and just hide.
It appears to me that it managed to get itself stuck and rip all the scales off the gill area and corner of its mouth on the left side.
It has been rubbing on sand and rocks on occasion so at first I thought it might be a disease instead, but the only thing that looks like that is uronema which I gather would be odd to effect a YWG first and have the azure damsels and clownfish and other goby that lives with it all fine. They have all been in the tank for more than a month together and came from the same fish store.
So I am leaning more towards an injury at this point and its just rubbing trying to figure out why it hurts.
We noticed it earlier yesterday and it was breathing fast and looked pretty beat. Its still has increased breathing rate but actually looks a little better and swam out to eat today with the other goby hovering around protectively most of the time.
It seems to be able to use that left fin which I think starts right at the back of the injury (hard to see clearly) since it moves around and I saw it move it at least a bit.
I notice the right gill and its mouth move when it breathes but not the left gill, but then nothing at all has visible movement on the other goby so I can't tell if its able to move it normally or its just sore or what.
Not sure they is anything I could do with it that wouldn't make everything worse so we are just waiting to see if it dies or gets better or what. It at least has a protected hole to sit in with the other goby looking out the other small opening to their cave so its not really stressed.
EDIT: I noticed I can see the left gill moving, just not as dramatically as the right one so at least that's something.

injury.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back