Goby or Pistol Shrimp into tank first?

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference to behavior or possible pairing on which one should be added to the tank first or is it generally irrelevant? I've heard the shrimp can sometimes be the bully but maybe that doesn't matter. I know there's no guarantee they pair regardless, but I'd like to stack the odds as best I can.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it best to add the shrimp in first as the goby then has a hole that it can dive into.
Also I’d recommend putting the goby with the shrimp it is most commonly found with in the wild (I.E. Stonogobiops yasha with Alpheus randalli).

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a pair, but why cant you introduce them at the same time?
Unsure about availability and order times at my LFS.

I don’t think it really would matter. My shrimp went in first.
Gotcha!
I find it best to add the shrimp in first as the goby then has a hole that it can dive into.
Also I’d recommend putting the goby with the shrimp it is most commonly found with in the wild (I.E. Stonogobiops yasha with Alpheus randalli).
Makes sense of about shrimp first. I hadn't decided on exact variation of each yet, so that's good advice thanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure about availability and order times at my LFS.

Gotcha!

Makes sense of about shrimp first. I hadn't decided on exact variation of each yet, so that's good advice thanks.
That’s a good plan - Also if you ever need help with gobies feel free to @ me and I can most likely help :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good and bad luck with pairing. My shrimp was always in first. One of 3 pairing went really badly. To explain the many pairs, the original died in tank overheat. The shrimp killed the next. I killed the next on accident and last I think was just lost in moves.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back