Goby pistol shrimp in 20g w/shallow sandbed

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am working on stocking my im nuvo 20g and I was thinking of a yellow head jawfish or a combo watchman goby and pistol shrimp.
However my sandbed is only like a quarter to half an inch deep.
Would either of these fish work out? What would be a good alternative?
Tank will be a mixed reef and already has a pair of snowflake clowns

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp do very well with my 1" sand bed. The shrimp will bulldoze and clear away sand regardless of how deep or shallow it is. The YWG isn't really a sand sifting goby and eats the food I add to tank with all other fish. The shrimp will scavenge near the hole they set up and occasionally nab an unfortunate small snail or hermit that wanders too close (I've lost one hermit and several very small snails - but these losses are minimal to me and wouldn't get rid of the YWG - shrimp pair). If you were setting up small shrimp heavy tank...might think twice.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp do very well with my 1" sand bed. The shrimp will bulldoze and clear away sand regardless of how deep or shallow it is. The YWG isn't really a sand sifting goby and eats the food I add to tank with all other fish. The shrimp will scavenge near the hole they set up and occasionally nab an unfortunate small snail or hermit that wanders too close (I've lost one hermit and several very small snails - but these losses are minimal to me and wouldn't get rid of the YWG - shrimp pair). If you were setting up small shrimp heavy tank...might think twice.
I do have a 2 inch skunk cleaner shrimp in this tank.
How about the yellowhead jawfish? That's the only thing my lfs actually has in stock. I'm on a wait list for pistolshrimp and goby

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 2 inch skunk cleaner shrimp in this tank.
How about the yellowhead jawfish? That's the only thing my lfs actually has in stock. I'm on a wait list for pistolshrimp and goby
My goby doesn't bother my cleaner shrimp or my other hermit , they stay on the rocks. Doesn't bother the big more expensive snails either.

I've never owned a Jawfish. Reading leads me to believe they need much deeper, finer sand than I have so wouldn't have considered one. Plus really wanted to see they symbiotic relationship with the YWG/Pistol. And that has turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of my watching my tank. Tons of personality and extremely interesting to watch.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back