Goby Questions

StartingATank

Self-Diagnosed Coral Addict
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2024
Messages
2,350
Reaction score
1,743
Location
DFW Metroplex
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I am copying and pasting from an email, so it may seem a little strange opening up. I got a neon blue goby for reference and it is about 3/4" in size. I do have some aggressiveish fish in my main tank, so I was planning on putting it in quarantine, but it is so small that it is able to go through the grates of my filter system so I was wondering what to do. I also got a midas blenny with it, and I was planning on putting them both in quarantine, but now that I see the size of it, I am worried that the midas blenny might be aggressive to the goby, so I plan on putting the blenny in my main tank. Also, I was planning on feeding mysis and spirulina frozen, but I don't think the goby will be able to eat that. The only other food I have is phyto, betta pellets (they are pretty small, about the diameter of the diameter of a wire of a paper clip, pellets with mysis that are larger but I can slightly grind them up), benereef, and pre-medicated flakes with metronidazole. Would any of these work for feeding? I'm sorry for the barrage of questions.
 
I put my yellow lined goby in my main tank. He hid for a bit, then came out a lot , now kinda found a home and comes out during feeding. The bigger fish just ignore him mostly
 
I put my yellow lined goby in my main tank. He hid for a bit, then came out a lot , now kinda found a home and comes out during feeding. The bigger fish just ignore him mostly
What do you feed him, and what should I feed him as his mouth is extremely tiny. I am thinking about feeding benereef, but is there something else I should be feeding him?
 
What do you feed him, and what should I feed him as his mouth is extremely tiny. I am thinking about feeding benereef, but is there something else I should be feeding him?
You can mash up the mysis into bits and pieces. The goby will eat that. Heck they'll eat just about anything IME (I have a yellow neon in my aquarium).
 
I’m mostly just worried because his mouth is the size of a small crumb, at largest
The the one I had would eat the small bits of mysis that floated past during broadcast feeding and would eat small bits of flakes, that thing was a such an aggressive little guy when it came to eating 🤣
 
The the one I had would eat the small bits of mysis that floated past during broadcast feeding and would eat small bits of flakes, that thing was a such an aggressive little guy when it came to eating 🤣
That's my experience too. My little guy is a smart eater as well. Meaning, he's figured out exactly when and where he needs to be as soon as the food hits the water when no one else has. He's a funny little guy.
 
Well this is it’s size for reference, I think it is on a 3/4” pvc, or it is a straight inch

 
Cyclops for sure, a little goes a long ways.I have a picky lot of eaters, they are always nibbling and spitting stuff all over the place, maybe use a baster and aim it at a wavemaker to whittle down chunkier stuff. My blue neon goby is kinda fat. Good ole pods are a great addition.



IMG_1698.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new