Goby with a ballooned lump

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a pink spot goby, been acting and eating normally and noticed this large ballooned area on his side, any ideas? Is he doomed?

20231220_103513.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, because it is internal, you won't be able to do anything for it. When the swelling is equal on both sides, it could be constipation, and that can sometimes clear itself. I don't see how a swelling on just one side could be constipation, but maybe? Other possibilities include a tumor (but you would have seen that grow gradually) or some sort of abscess.

Jay

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, because it is internal, you won't be able to do anything for it. When the swelling is equal on both sides, it could be constipation, and that can sometimes clear itself. I don't see how a swelling on just one side could be constipation, but maybe? Other possibilities include a tumor (but you would have seen that grow gradually) or some sort of abscess.

Jay
Ah ok, its a bit on the other side but nowhere near like this, i did see him with a crab moult in his mouth but he dropped it but maybe he went back for seconds... who knows. But we didnt notice anything yesterday but thats not to say it was starting to do it

Ill just keep an eye on him

Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, its a bit on the other side but nowhere near like this, i did see him with a crab moult in his mouth but he dropped it but maybe he went back for seconds... who knows. But we didnt notice anything yesterday but thats not to say it was starting to do it

Ill just keep an eye on him

Thank you

I wonder - a piece of crab molt, if caught in a loop of intestine, might cause bloating on just one side like this. Hopefully it will be able to pass it.....

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back