God is GOOD!! Disaster averted!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2022
Messages
1,925
Reaction score
1,484
Location
Kearney
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
WOW! I was doing a water change in my Red Sea XL525, when I thought I smelled something hot. Went upstairs to get my wife as my sniffer ain’t all that good. She came down and said she smelled something too. Looked all over. Decided it was nothing and went to open the window to vent, then close up and recheck. I had checked every plug on all my other tanks, nothing hot. I have three tanks tied together to a sump for a QT system by the window. Decided to check the heaters and this is what I found. We leave in the morning for the weekend. I have had nothing but problems with finnex heaters. Could have come home to a burned down house.

65177FB0-3CF1-4F8B-ACDC-385A0EE082D1.jpeg
 
Thank goodness you didn't give up looking for the suspicious smell. Yikes!
 
Wow. Great catch. Get yourself an eheim heater and drop in. They are reliable but no controller but have built in thermostat. Maybe get a controller for tank later. Much safer route and cheaper than buying those every year or so. You can get cheap controller for 200 to 250
 
Wow. Great catch. Get yourself an eheim heater and drop in. They are reliable but no controller but have built in thermostat. Maybe get a controller for tank later. Much safer route and cheaper than buying those every year or so. You can get cheap controller for 200 to 250
I have ink bird controllers with Brs titanium probes in 3 of my tanks as I was getting a lot of extra voltage from these. My lfs recommended finnex so I put them on all of my tanks and have already upgraded at least half. Since May of last year.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new