OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have the same Eshopp. I did find out that those hoses where a little noisier. I did hard pluming with a gate valve to make it quite. Just a thought. ;)
Good to know. The tech who plumbed it did recommend that I get hard elbows to eliminate the droop in the line, but I like your idea better.

Also, I would make that wall outlet a GFI in case water get into it.
I had to move that outlet because the stand blocked it, so I went ahead and did that already.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello SeaJay ! Are you planning saltwater with fish only of keep it fresh for the time being?
I'd use the word "plan" rather loosely. Gonna let it cycle until it's ready for some cleaners, put those in and then I'll have a month or so to figure the rest out. I'd like to have predators, but I haven't really done my research. I won't be completely happy if I don't have some eels in it.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are doing salt, good learn the ropes then go reef with corals. Great plan !
I bet a lot of Folks who plan fish only (for now at least)end up sneaking in a coral or two rather quickly ! ;)
I can see that, because with 150 lbs. of white base rock in there, it looks pretty boring. Needs some color and different textures.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are doing salt, good learn the ropes then go reef with corals. Great plan !
I bet a lot of Folks who plan fish only (for now at least)end up sneaking in a coral or two rather quickly ! ;)

Guilty as charged.

I am about 5 1/2 months into SW.. Already on my 2nd tank (double the size of the 1st) and I have 50 species of coral already. 5 fish, that number will be increasing soon.

I know I moved fast, but I spent every single day learning as I went plus had a mentor who runs 11 tanks at his home. So I was in good hands to start quicker than say someone with just a forum to assist.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it filled and running today.

FA21358E-B2DC-4046-BADB-DA3750ECC32D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You came to the site with the resources. Welcome aboard.
Tank looks nice and with its' size comes potential. Just go slowly and buy the equipment that feeds your needs and not because it was cheap in price. Whether your are becoming a coral addict or just having colorful reach reef fish....Plan every step and get familiar with the stores around you, and see what they carry. I'd rather drive one hour (which I do) to get a good quality fish at a lower price than to a store a mile away with poor advise, dirty tanks and high prices.

Reefing begins here:

tanks.png

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You came to the site with the resources. Welcome aboard.
Tank looks nice and with its' size comes potential. Just go slowly and buy the equipment that feeds your needs and not because it was cheap in price. Whether your are becoming a coral addict or just having colorful reach reef fish....Plan every step and get familiar with the stores around you, and see what they carry. I'd rather drive one hour (which I do) to get a good quality fish at a lower price than to a store a mile away with poor advise, dirty tanks and high prices.

Reefing begins here:

tanks.png
I’m in GA about halfway between Atlanta and Athens, so every fish store is about an hour from me. The plus side is, there’s several good ones in that radius.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good SeaJay ! What's next?
Just taking it one step at a time. Got it running, learning how to use the equipment, adjusting water levels, checking salinity, etc. I was told after a week or so I could start adding the cleaning crew. Does this sound accurate?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion a week is way tot soon for "any " critters. How is the cycle coming along? Gotta make sure the tank is completely cycled 1st
Then wait some some & add maybe, a fish & a few snails. This way the new tank can slowly build to handle more waste from the animals etc .

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have the same Eshopp. I did find out that those hoses where a little noisier. I did hard pluming with a gate valve to make it quite. Just a thought. ;)
Looks like I’ll be doing this sooner than later. One of the gray flex return hoses has a very small leak in it right above the sump. Gotta get rid of it. Gonna take your advice and just go buy some 1” pipe and do it up solid. Any downsides to doing this?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium most of my life and spent most of that time thinking of one day having a large tank in my home. I just pulled the trigger on a 135 gallon Seapora reef ready tank, though I don't plan to reef in the near future. I've got a lot to learn and will likely work may way in that direction. It's a beautiful tank and I'm excited. Currently in the process of filling it. I have never done this before and I have a lot of fancy new equipment, so I may be back asking a lot of questions. So far I've learned that aquascaping is not as easy as one might think.

IMG_2019.JPG
IMG_2020.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg

Is that CPR hosing you have going to your sump? Is that a CPR sump? I'm just curious if that tubing can glue into regular pvc fittings.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like I’ll be doing this sooner than later. One of the gray flex return hoses has a very small leak in it right above the sump. Gotta get rid of it. Gonna take your advice and just go buy some 1” pipe and do it up solid. Any downsides to doing this?
Hard piping is best bet and eady ti glue and route. Easy to cut fir duassemby and you can add shutoffs in the routing. They now come in colors also

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back