Hello all! First 75gal with corals (eventually)

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I've had a couple nano saltwater tanks before, and tons of freshwater. Finally decided that a Flame Angel is in my future so I am building the system around that, hopefully will delve into some coral while I'm at it. We had a 5 gallon saltwater tank for about a year to learn all that we could. The BRS series was really helpful, I've also checked out lots of other channels so for those that upload, thanks a ton! I've subscribed and liked everywhere I could :)

Build thread is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-actual-reef-tank.1031433/

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! The BRS videos are great, I have learned a lot from them, but R2R s a really great community, and I'm sure you will get great advice here, I know I have. Best of luck on your new reefing journey!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
89582.gif

OP
OP
J

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sorting through some fish acclimation and water issues… but the “coral eventually” happened! Friend of mine ripped up some coral and glues it to a rock for my tank… trying to figure out which big rock to let it overtake if it’s gets there!

Attachments

• IMG_7654.jpeg
    IMG_7654.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
J

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update on the 75gal!

1. Got par readings and have adjusted my lighting schedule to better represent how we enjoy the tank. Lots of blues early in the day for corals, white light in the evening around dinner time since it’s in view of the kitchen island we eat at. If you add all 3 bars % it follows the helius intensity schedule.

2. Figured out my flow issues by shaving 1/2” from the bean bell style overflow, lowering it below the 3rd emergency overflow. Primary is still gated for adjustability, bean is the one that takes the excess. Getting an SDC 6.0 to replace the 3.0, I measured my flow through the UV and I want the adjustability, at 100% on the 3.0 I’m sitting around 180gal/hr going through uv return.

3. Ceaned up the sump, and from a few days ago my phosphates have dropped from .33 to .25! Also added in some pods and phyto about a week ago.

It’s coming along!
IMG_8329.jpeg
IMG_8330.jpeg IMG_8331.jpeg IMG_8332.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back