Going all in.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it also comes in clear. That'll be pretty cool.

Be aware if you get clear that any light source near the clear plumbing will allow algae to grow on the insides and turn them a nasty color/dirty looking.
Good luck! Coming along well!

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have the same Eshopp. I did find out that those hoses where a little noisier. I did hard pluming with a gate valve to make it quite. Just a thought. ;)

Also, I would make that wall outlet a GFI in case water get into it.
I'm going to hard plumb everything tonight. Do you put gate valves in the returns and the pump lines, or just the returns? I don't really see where there would ever be need to cut the flow from the pumps when you can just turn them off, unless there's some kind of need to prevent backflow.

Also, when the system is turned off and the overflows are full, is it normal for the water to leak down into the sump? The overflow drain tubes are slip fit in side the bulkhead fittings. Should this be glued? Is it maybe the joint in the adjustable tube?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to hard plumb everything tonight. Do you put gate valves in the returns and the pump lines, or just the returns? I don't really see where there would ever be need to cut the flow from the pumps when you can just turn them off, unless there's some kind of need to prevent backflow.

Also, when the system is turned off and the overflows are full, is it normal for the water to leak down into the sump? The overflow drain tubes are slip fit in side the bulkhead fittings. Should this be glued? Is it maybe the joint in the adjustable tube?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/overflow.356819/page-3

Read that and my thread page. It will give you an idea. @Crabs Mcjones Crabs explained it to me the most and help a ton!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaJay.
There are a ton of options when it comes to plumbing and you will get a few different answers on how to do things. My preference is to use as many unions as possible for quick and easy disassembly if needed and to always think ahead. Due to having numerous unions installed, I have been able to take out a section of pipe and add things in. I needed more flow in my fuge for example. I took out a section of return, cut it, added a "T" and a gate valve, routed from the gate valve back to my fuge, set gate valve for the flow I wanted and done. Easy due to having unions.

1. I prefer gate valves in all of the hard plumbing. Return and Drains. This will allow you to balance flow on either side if wanted, and can be used as a way to prevent drain back in the event a pump needs to be replaced.

2. I also prefer the low pressure swing arm check valves. I used to run my returns with a small hole drilled in them just above the water line to eliminate the drain back siphon, but they made a hair of noise my wife didn't like. Now with them, if you had a snail or something get in them (has to make it through the pump to do that), they can stop working. They will need to be cleaned every so often, but get the ones with unions or they even have them with a clean out port made into them. Again this is personal preference, but mine have worked flawlessly for over a year.

3. When you refer to the drain tunes being slip fittings, is this where the drains go into the sump, bottom of the bulkhead outside of the tank, or the tubes inside of the overflow box? Referring to entering the sump - No glue. Referring to the bottom of the bulk head coming out of the tank - it should have a threaded inside. Install a threaded to slip adapter, then use a union right after it. Or use a threaded on one end union and just use a dual threaded connector. For inside the tank portion of the bulkhead - if it is slip that is fine leave as it.

4. Below i have a crude diagram of how a lot of tanks I know of are setup. This also has an options gate valve installed in the return for use of a reactor or something else later. I use mine for a dual reactor. It has even been used for small water changes as My sump is huge and so is my pump chamber. Again, I am not an artist or creative outside of making things with 4 wheels go fast or figuring out how a network is jacked. So please excuse my crayola artwork lol.

Also if you have anymore questions just post them here. There are a ton of people with loads of knowledge on here and between everyone here, we should be able to aid you in coming up with the best solution to fit your needs.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaJay.
There are a ton of options when it comes to plumbing and you will get a few different answers on how to do things. My preference is to use as many unions as possible for quick and easy disassembly if needed and to always think ahead. Due to having numerous unions installed, I have been able to take out a section of pipe and add things in. I needed more flow in my fuge for example. I took out a section of return, cut it, added a "T" and a gate valve, routed from the gate valve back to my fuge, set gate valve for the flow I wanted and done. Easy due to having unions.

1. I prefer gate valves in all of the hard plumbing. Return and Drains. This will allow you to balance flow on either side if wanted, and can be used as a way to prevent drain back in the event a pump needs to be replaced.

2. I also prefer the low pressure swing arm check valves. I used to run my returns with a small hole drilled in them just above the water line to eliminate the drain back siphon, but they made a hair of noise my wife didn't like. Now with them, if you had a snail or something get in them (has to make it through the pump to do that), they can stop working. They will need to be cleaned every so often, but get the ones with unions or they even have them with a clean out port made into them. Again this is personal preference, but mine have worked flawlessly for over a year.

3. When you refer to the drain tunes being slip fittings, is this where the drains go into the sump, bottom of the bulkhead outside of the tank, or the tubes inside of the overflow box? Referring to entering the sump - No glue. Referring to the bottom of the bulk head coming out of the tank - it should have a threaded inside. Install a threaded to slip adapter, then use a union right after it. Or use a threaded on one end union and just use a dual threaded connector. For inside the tank portion of the bulkhead - if it is slip that is fine leave as it.

4. Below i have a crude diagram of how a lot of tanks I know of are setup. This also has an options gate valve installed in the return for use of a reactor or something else later. I use mine for a dual reactor. It has even been used for small water changes as My sump is huge and so is my pump chamber. Again, I am not an artist or creative outside of making things with 4 wheels go fast or figuring out how a network is jacked. So please excuse my crayola artwork lol.

Also if you have anymore questions just post them here. There are a ton of people with loads of knowledge on here and between everyone here, we should be able to aid you in coming up with the best solution to fit your needs.

Capture.PNG
Thanks for the input.

On #3, yes I was referring to inside the overflows where the drain tubes are just pushed down into the bulkhead.

So I’m assuming the black bulkheads are abs and we’re plumbing pvc, so what is the preferred method to join the two? It’s my understanding that you don’t want to use regular pvc glue for that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.

On #3, yes I was referring to inside the overflows where the drain tubes are just pushed down into the bulkhead.

So I’m assuming the black bulkheads are abs and we’re plumbing pvc, so what is the preferred method to join the two? It’s my understanding that you don’t want to use regular pvc glue for that.

For inside the overflows, leave as is. Makes maintenance and getting a fish out out of their easier.

For underneath the tank where your pipe to the sump will go, if it is threaded I would use a pvc connector that is threaded to slip and install it threaded in into the bulkhead. Be sure to use teflon tape and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Bulkheads will crack easily. Form there put a short piece of PVC into the slip end and then into your union/coupler. From there the rest can be glued.

The fitting I am referring to is below and so are the unions.
Just make sure the threads match the threads on your bulkhead. Most are either 1" or 3/4". Should be a 1" on a dual overflow as large as yours, but do double check.

pvc 1.PNG
pvc 2.PNG
pvc 3.PNG

If the bulkheads are slip on the bottom side, then I have no idea how to properly join those together. Outside of matching the thread on the outside of the bulkhead and reducing it.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like everything is running smoothly. Just been figuring things out. Realized that several extra filter socks are a must, so I got those. Also realized I’m gonna be spending a significant amount of time under the tank and the cell phone flashlight isn’t cutting it, so I added some lights under there so I can see what I’m doing. I got the water levels and everything dialed in, but I do have one small issue that’s causing me a little confusion. One of my overflows is fluctuating. It rises and falls about an inch or so every 5-10 seconds and spits a very small burst of bubbles into my display. I’m sure I could tinker with the levels and get it to stop, but I’d prefer to know exactly what’s going on so I can learn as much as possible.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did find that there is a special glue for bonding pvc to abs. Local box stores don't carry it, so I'm waiting for that to come to do the hard plumbing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back