OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O my goodness... took me 3 1/2 hrs to switch out my over flow. Hard to get the others off! That small hack saw was. Good touch! The one bulk head leaked so I have to removed it and try it again. Not leaking thank you! Lol that was my set back. I measured everything and then dry connected. Then I glued, the bottom pvc goes into my sump about 3/4” I wanted more but that’s how it turned out. The gate valve was a great idea! I closed it a little until the over flow started to fill past normal then backed off. It makes the noise a lot less! Thanks now my new current flow 1050 pump is 3 times louder then my old dcs-9000 Jacob pump. So that sucks ether the current pump is defective because they say it’s virtually silent but it’s not! So I don’t know might have to go back to the 9000 pump or down grade to the 7000 but I know my 9000 is quite maybe the 7000 won’t be??? Awww I don’t know!

Anyways looks at my new creation!
2F5C7D94-866A-449B-8C4B-1A3E67C7DC46.jpeg
1824F4DB-1702-42D1-8CB3-DBA2717873BD.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O my goodness... took me 3 1/2 hrs to switch out my over flow. Hard to get the others off! That small hack saw was. Good touch! The one bulk head leaked so I have to removed it and try it again. Not leaking thank you! Lol that was my set back. I measured everything and then dry connected. Then I glued, the bottom pvc goes into my sump about 3/4” I wanted more but that’s how it turned out. The gate valve was a great idea! I closed it a little until the over flow started to fill past normal then backed off. It makes the noise a lot less! Thanks now my new current flow 1050 pump is 3 times louder then my old dcs-9000 Jacob pump. So that sucks ether the current pump is defective because they say it’s virtually silent but it’s not! So I don’t know might have to go back to the 9000 pump or down grade to the 7000 but I know my 9000 is quite maybe the 7000 won’t be??? Awww I don’t know!

Anyways looks at my new creation!
2F5C7D94-866A-449B-8C4B-1A3E67C7DC46.jpeg
1824F4DB-1702-42D1-8CB3-DBA2717873BD.jpeg
Pretty snazzy! Turned out great!just something to consider for future reference, id make a cut after the gate valve and put in another union. So if you ever need to remove the gate valve for maintenance or anything you can.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty snazzy! Turned out great!just something to consider for future reference, id make a cut after the gate valve and put in another union. So if you ever need to remove the gate valve for maintenance or anything you can.
Thanks! To remove the gate valve all I do is pull of the sump after I disconnect the union and it comes right out ! Is there anything I need to know about the gate valve any precautions I need to take ? I just closed it until the overflow couldn’t drain fast enough and then I opened a little bit more to bring it back to normal is that when I do ? Sucks my new pump is a lot louder. You think I should go with the Jecod 7000 versus the 9000 or just keep my 9000 I have ?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! To remove the gate valve all I do is pull of the sump after I disconnect the union and it comes right out ! Is there anything I need to know about the gate valve any precautions I need to take ? I just closed it until the overflow couldn’t drain fast enough and then I opened a little bit more to bring it back to normal is that when I do ? Sucks my new pump is a lot louder. You think I should go with the Jecod 7000 versus the 9000 or just keep my 9000 I have ?
Sounds like you've got it all set up right :) I'd say jeep the 9000 and try to figure out why it's noisy. Could be a defective unit if that's the case the company should warranty it for you. Did you use the rubber feet under it? Is the noise coming right from the pump or is it more like telhe pump is vibrating against the sump?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got it all set up right :) I'd say jeep the 9000 and try to figure out why it's noisy. Could be a defective unit if that's the case the company should warranty it for you. Did you use the rubber feet under it? Is the noise coming right from the pump or is it more like telhe pump is vibrating against the sump?

The current 1050 is noisy the dcs 9000 is not. The noise is coming from the pump motor that’s spinning. Like a jet engine. I moved it around and no luck :( the 9000 is over kill I can run it on 3 vs 10 but the 7000 might be better but it might be more noisy.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a little time but your set up should be fairly easy to make quiet. Congrats on fixing your problem. Good luck with the pump. I went through three before I found one that had enough flow but was silent.
Thanks! What pump did you end up with?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working well, I got a reef octopus v4 and used the gate valve to crest back pressure. Seems like it’s quiter

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I close my gate valve and turn my pump up in speed. The overflow drops quick and the pump like re sets . Makes a gargalling noise then shoots out bubbles from the return jets. What’s that about lol? When I open the gate to let more flow seems to stop.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I close my gate valve and turn my pump up in speed. The overflow drops quick and the pump like re sets . Makes a gargalling noise then shoots out bubbles from the return jets. What’s that about lol? When I open the gate to let more flow seems to stop.
That doesn't make any sense. when you close the gate and turn up the pump you're restricting the flow of water down to your sump so your pump is pumping all the water from the sump pump into the display and there's no water left down below. If the pump is pumping water faster up into the display than the overflow can bring it down then you're going to start sucking air when your water level gets too low

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't make any sense. when you close the gate and turn up the pump you're restricting the flow of water down to your sump so your pump is pumping all the water from the sump pump into the display and there's no water left down below. If the pump is pumping water faster up into the display than the overflow can bring it down then you're going to start sucking air when your water level gets too low

That’s what I’m saying...I don’t know what it is. The overflow drops then the return spits out bubbles aggressively with a gargaling noise... then all returns to normal then it happeneds again ...

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. My safety float switch was turning off my pump for a second. It did not alert me...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back