Going bigger or going home (180g build)

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been without a tank for almost 10 years now and it's time to get back in as I finally has some time and $ saved up to make a real go at this. Looking back this is the longest stretch I haven't had a tank - the technology and knowledge is so much better than when I was last in thanks to communities like R2R. Love seeing the tanks out there.

All my prior reefs were 29g or 20g so I really need a definitive jump - going for 180g (although the temptation to bigger is there). Goal mixed reef with softies, LPS and dipping toes into SPS. In the planning gathering stage - any feedback from the community is appreciated.

DT:
Aqueon 180g (6x2x2) - will drill myself for first time (gulp)
Synergy reef overflow with bean-animal 1" - 16" vs 20" (leaning 20" for more skimming)
Return bulkheads x2 3/4"
Dead rock - Pukani
1" Sand bed
Wav powerheads on ends
Supplements with JeBao on back

Lights (still thinking):
2x 80W T5
Radeon or Kassil or SB reef lights

Stand and canopy:
DIY - 36-40" high.

Will replace the green couch
5ozKf6o.jpg

Life support in basement (~15' vertical)
Fish room will be an ~13' x 12' room with a 4x6 foot little tab that is unfinished but has a roughed in wall. I'll finish to keep the humidity localized (the furnace and water heater are in the same unfinished area)
pD2wOaX.jpg

uGfM3Bp.jpg

pCZqHir.jpg
ivoWo2z.jpg

Fuge (36x18x18)

- 1st compartment for Siphon from bean animal
- 2nd: Overflows to 2x filter socks
- 3rd: Underflows to refugium for macroalgea/cheats
- 2x 3/4" bulkheads to gravity feed to 150g Rubbermaid
- 1x 3/4" bulkhead emergency drain

BWQE4J8.jpg

qeP6KNM.jpg

Sump (150g Rubbermaid) - ~75g volume
- Seal stock bulkhead and drill new 1" bulkhead
- Liverock/Marinepure for future frags
- Heaters
- Skimmer - Reef octopus 150EXT
- 2 part dosing
- Iwaki 70 return pump rated 1000-1200gph at 15'. Goal around 1000gph (5-6x turnover/hour)
- Return drives manifold for GFO/Carbon and T off for water change

Controller:
- Apex
- Avast ATO

Power:
DT power on 15A circuit that is lightly used.
Sump room power on a separate 15A circuit that is lightly used.
Option to use 3rd 15A circuit for other accessories
Backup plan - UPS or other backup under DT for powerheads. Consider backup power for return pump but not sure what is the priority.

Questions for those with the experience:
- ?Plan for humidity in fish room. Currently at 55-65% RH even without the tanks. Will likely add a 100CFM fan to vent out but considering HRV options. There is an AC vent in the ceiling.

- Are 2x 3/4" bulkheads enough to deal with Fuge output? Will there be too much flow through the Fuge if I put the siphon there? Should the siphon go to the sump?

- Are custom tanks with star fire worth the extra $$ and wait?

- Is 20" overflow worth it for skimming for 72" tank?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely well planned :)
Is the 1" siphon going to be big enough for the flow of the iwaki?

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno until it's plumbed but most people use 1" for the siphon and not 1.5". The synergy rated for 1500gph has 1" bulkheads.

Per this calculator at 15ft head pressures, 1" full siphon can handle up to 4500GPH. I think this is why you need a gate valve to dial in the return flow to maintain a siphon.
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/hydraulics-for-the-aquarist.aspx

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of updates I forgot to post but I'm making progress:

Plumbing in

Drilled the tank - measured like 8000 times

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painter helper

Stand in

Skinning was easier than I thought.

I'm not the best at staining but I know I can fix it later if I need to

After much debate went with Kessils - will likely supplement T5

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank waiting

Spawning! Freaked my son out - too bad I'm not set up to try to rear the fry.

Still not sure if I'll do a fuge or not.

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy Overflow 16"

Took some time to tune this guy - Very loud at first - not from the flow to the basement but from the water level in the overflow box. Had to increase the height of the open channel and not it's really really quiet. Water level is pretty high in the box and may need some further adjustment but I'm impressed.

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the current list:

Return pump: Panworld 200PS - moves some serious water. have about 15' head space
Flow: split return to a Sea Swirl 1" and just a pipe. Need to get another Swirl - amazing thing. MP40 with batter backup on the way.

Filtration: Siporax and Marinepure in sump.

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 200EXT - broken in and is really nice. I need to decide if I'm going to put it over the sump in case it overflows.

Controller: Need to decide - am strongly leaning towards the GHL Profilux 4. Doser 2.1 on the way

Supplements: Decided to go with an Aquaforest start and system with full Balling. We'll see how long I can go with this before I get a Ca Reactor if this really matures. I had very small Ammonia bump and then to 0 the next day. Nitrates peaked at 2.5 and now are back down. Have 3 fish and some frags from Cherry Corals (amazing stuff).

It's a start!

OP
OP
cbear44

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My signature isn't updated but I'm at 2 months in and so far so good.

Equipment Additions:
1. Lid for sump - decreases evaporation
2. Avast Swabbie - really nice addition and I never have to fiddle with my skimmer anymore.
3. Seneye Reef Controller - I got this for the PAR mainly and it's helped tune the lights. I ended up lowering my Kessils and adding 2x 80W T5. I may end up adding a couple more T5. Pros of this are the PAR meter. Cons are pretty numerous. The pH is reading high at 8.5 when all my test kits are 8.3. Everything is thriving so I'm not moving on the pH data. It has to be pluged into a computer that is on all the time. It is supposed to store data but I have lots of missing data if the PC goes to sleep. I'm a mac guy and I moved a PC near the tank but this will be going away after the first month chip is used up. Will keep for PAR but not much else.

Addatives:
Aquaforest still. Dosing 33mL of 123 every day to maintain alk and Ca. Dosing ABEV. Getting red algae when I over dose the AA and Vitamins so will calm down on that. Due to low nitrates I'm not using ProBios/NPPro but I have it.

Feeding Reef Roids and AF power food. Growth is good so far.

Coral additions:
Ok here is where I went a bit nuts and am trying to calm down. A local reef swap will get you excited and over due it a bit. Plus I found amazing local stores. I'm up to 7-8 acros, 3 Aans and early Zoa and Euphilia gardens starting. Just added a maxima clam as well. Having nice polyp extension at the moment.

Fish Additions:
Currently have 6 fish and 3 more in quarantine.

Pics:

AVpfyCs.jpg

hR0H6KL.jpg

rCyjnQY.jpg

R6Gi5FU.jpg

PCV1edh.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0