Going more SPS- Need better sand

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, over the last few months I am beginning to pull out of LPS and get more SPS, which is where my problem begins. I currently have Carib Sea-Fiji Pink. I want to go slightly bigger to avoid the bare spots in the sand from my powerheads- however I have one problem. My Melanurus wrasse. How large can I go while still giving him a sand bed to sleep in?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very coarse gravel mixed with fine and slightly less fine sand all throughout my tank. I keep it stirred in the front, but in the back of my tank all the fine stuff just sinks to the bottom, keeping all the coarse stuff on top. Both my chrysus and timorensis don't mind diving into the coarse stuff. They've never had any injuries from it either.

However, I can imagine it at least feels better for the fish to dive into a fine sand bed. Do you have any spots that have less flow where you could dump a bunch of fine sand?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very coarse gravel mixed with fine and slightly less fine sand all throughout my tank. I keep it stirred in the front, but in the back of my tank all the fine stuff just sinks to the bottom, keeping all the coarse stuff on top. Both my chrysus and timorensis don't mind diving into the coarse stuff. They've never had any injuries from it either.

However, I can imagine it at least feels better for the fish to dive into a fine sand bed. Do you have any spots that have less flow where you could dump a bunch of fine sand?

Towards the back. My main issue is up front. (as you can see, right in the front middle area is my problem). (Excuse the pile of shells, my puffer went a bit crazy lately) lol

1.jpg

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the finer stuff at the back and go coarse in front he'll be fine :) You could even keep just a small section of fine sand behind a rock, so you won't see the obvious difference between the different textures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back