Going on a trip

Acemann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I’m going on a 12 day trip and I have a 100 gallon reef tank with a couple of clownfish, some invertebrates, and some coral and my cousin comes to help with pets and I always have to tell her not to over feed and “feed less then what she would think” but somehow she finds a way to over feed them. I have a 120 gallon protein skimmer along with a 50 gallon sump. When I come back the nitrates and phosphate levels are crazy high. Any advice what I should do or tell her?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I’m going on a 12 day trip and I have a 100 gallon reef tank with a couple of clownfish, some invertebrates, and some coral and my cousin comes to help with pets and I always have to tell her not to over feed and “feed less then what she would think” but somehow she finds a way to over feed them. I have a 120 gallon protein skimmer along with a 50 gallon sump. When I come back the nitrates and phosphate levels are crazy high. Any advice what I should do or tell her?
Maybe explain how the extra food leads to extra waste, which in turn could harm the tank. And also make daily portions in small containers, and say to only feed that per day.

OP
OP
A

Acemann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feeder if feeding dry. Otherwise portion the food out in some type of containers for individual feeding. Most folks that don't keep fish tend to over feed
How do I portion it out if I feed frozen food do I just cut up the cube?

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tanks so when I go on vacation I will get enough small containers with lids to make up with the foods for each tank . I will make all containers as if I’m getting ready to feed and put them in the fridge. Whoever is tending my tanks can easily grab and pour daily. Works like a charm.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pre-measure servings of food into small plastic cups and have her dump one cup per day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back