Going on vacation, what about the tank.

  • Thread starter Thread starter chris13115
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chris13115

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2012
Messages
129
Reaction score
1
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i go away, i have a person look over my tank. But he can't make it this year so i got a timer for the lights, food is my main concern, any advice?
 
+1 to automatic feeders. They're pretty cheap and just run on batteries at the set interval. The only downfall is that you're limited to flake & pellets without the option of using any frozen food.
 
+2 on the auto feeders. You should be able to find at lfs or order online
 
How long are you going away? I usually take a week out of the year to travel and I don't feed my fish at all. I don't have any delicate species that have to be fed several times a day. I'd rather have the fish hungry but happy to see me when I get back than leave the tank to someone that would mess it up. I do have fish that won't eat pellet or flake anyway so the autofeeder wouldn't do me any good.
 
I always worry about my tank when I am gone. Besides feeding, you have to worry about a pump going out or overheating (depending on what lights you have and if you are running a chiller). I just switched from halides to led, but I could just imagine my chiller going out or my return pump failing and then the lights just baking my tank! Besides feeding, I would make sure all the pumps are clean and everything is maintained.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new