Golden Cuban Basslet White? Anyone have one?

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have one of these? Thoughts? Do they look as nice in real life? (Photo from Biota if you don't want to open the link:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.18.34 PM.png

I'm strongly considering getting one - they are so beautiful. Either way, I think it would be fine to add it with a Royal Gramma at the same time in a 180 gallon display, does anyone disagree?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have one of these? Thoughts? Do they look as nice in real life? (Photo from Biota if you don't want to open the link:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.18.34 PM.png

I'm strongly considering getting one - they are so beautiful. Either way, I think it would be fine to add it with a Royal Gramma at the same time in a 180 gallon display, does anyone disagree?
I don't have one, but my LFS (has lots of high income clients) always has these guys. They are absolutely stunning and pictures don't give credit to them. Considering the price, I wouldn't risk adding it with a royal gramma. Maybe someone with more experience will help!

OP
OP
aurora.k

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one, but my LFS (has lots of high income clients) always has these guys. They are absolutely stunning and pictures don't give credit to them. Considering the price, I wouldn't risk adding it with a royal gramma. Maybe someone with more experience will help!
Thanks! Happy to hear they look good in real life, too.

Hoping someone else has thoughts, too, on two in the same tank of this size.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get away with adding both at the same time in that size tank. However, I wouldn't want anything else in the tank with that golden yellow to take away the visual impact of the cuban.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep multiple Grammas and not too much of a issue in a 120 gallon.
They bicker over the best cave but that is it. There is a dominant one (largest) and he defends his cave.
Seriously most of the time they swim together. I have a large ledge and they all swim upside-down under it.

Now I bought them hoping for a pair but that didn't happen. I believe all female or all male.
If one set had paired and the other was a male I bet they would kill it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you add them all at the same time when they were small? Would be interesting to know how sexing works in Grammas.

They were all added same time. I bought them from KP Aquatics. They were close to the same size and maybe medium size for a Royal Gramma. Chance they are not mature yet but I feel like they are adults.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can see them in this picture.
Old picture and still in ugly phase. It got way worse than this too.
Then one day all the cyano just peeled right off and was gone.
Same happened on my reefer 250.
Big tank and they all stay together.

Yea adding them together is probably one reason they did well.
No established territory.

1611858429244.png

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the colors and I am sure the movement too. How big’s your tank and do you have any plans to add larger fish?

This one is 120 gallons.
No large fish. I like the scale of smaller fish in a reef. So I like allot of small fish. I like allot of fish that dart in and out of coral heads. Going to still add some more different anthias.
The chromis I have had forever. I got them when they were very tiny.
I originally put them in with a bluethroat trigger who went after them. So I put them in a frag tank till they got bigger.
They have been in 6 different tanks now.
I just lost my male anthias who was beautiful. I think he got stuck in a hole in the rock and panicked.
He was the boss of the tank too.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ouch sorry about your loss. :( Will you be replacing it with another Lyretail female with the hopes it changes?

How long have you had your Chromis by the way?

I think I was editing the post and may have answered some of that.
I am going to add a few different anthias. I will get another lyretail which will be female.
Chromis from maybe 2016.
You can see them in the picture here:
That tank was short lived because I had to move.

Back