Golden Dwarf Angel

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the topic I could find on this fish are pretty old. Does anyone have long term success with these fish? Would you consider them difficult? Will I have problems with a flame angel in the same tank?

It seems most people had trouble getting them to eat any prepared food and they are pretty cryptic.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no personal experience with that pretty fish. @4FordFamily or @melypr1985, any advice to offer to mr11?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any personal experience with them, but being a dwarf angel I wouldn't mix it with any other dwarfs unless you like to live on the edge and push limits. From what I just read I would keep them with peaceful tankmates and not with corals. Not much help I know, but there you are. ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the topic I could find on this fish are pretty old. Does anyone have long term success with these fish? Would you consider them difficult? Will I have problems with a flame angel in the same tank?

It seems most people had trouble getting them to eat any prepared food and they are pretty cryptic.
I've not had them but I've had many dwarf angels and mixed many. IMO a golden is too cryptic and fragile to be kept with others, but I am not speaking from experience. If it was with several others you might be OK but I still suggest that at least one of the other dwarf angels would pick on the cryptic and fragile golden.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cryptic. A calm, dimly lit tank will have more success than a bright, active tank. Golden angels are more likely to be captured with cyanide, which contributes to their difficulty. They are also very likely to nip coral. If I were to try to keep one with a flame angel, I would highly recommend having the golden to be well established, six months or more, before adding the flame.

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like it's not the right fish for me right now. Hopefully in the future I can set up something for them. Maybe that's why I don't see them for sale often. Beautiful fish though

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one from DD that was about 2". He never ate and passed away in my QT. he was very shy and would mostly hide. Golden angels are known to be very reclusive and you would need an ideal environment that is close to their natural habitat to have any success with them.

As much as I like this species I'll never try one again.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about 3 months and had to remove it due to coral picking. As others stated, he was shy for the first week or two but eventually came out and ate pretty much everything I fed it. Was a shame I had to remove it :(

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 112 77.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back