Golden striped maroons jumpers?

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting maroon gold clowns but I don’t know if they are jumpers can they go in a 13.5 gal tank?

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant speak personally on maroon clownfish but i have two frostbite clownfish in my tank with a screen top. When i work on the tank i sometimes leave the top off the tank and i have personally witnessed one if them jump out of the tank; luckily i was there and i plopped them back in but if i didnt have a lid they would jump out of the tank in a day. I think it has a lot to do with the individual fish. Maroon clowns might be too small for a 13.5 gal tank?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish can jump out of the water. Some do more than others.

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns can live up to two decades and can get 5-6" +, a 13.5g tank will be a very very very temporary solution for them. I had to pair up two maroons a while back and had them in a 29g biocube to do so but moved them to a 75g after about 2 months. They grow fast and live for a long time, if you are up for that commitment and are going to upgrade in the next 4-6 months then go for it they likely won't jump. If you aren't planning on upgrading I would highly encourage you to go with occelaris clowns over maroons.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns can live up to two decades and can get 5-6" +, a 13.5g tank will be a very very very temporary solution for them. I had to pair up two maroons a while back and had them in a 29g biocube to do so but moved them to a 75g after about 2 months. They grow fast and live for a long time, if you are up for that commitment and are going to upgrade in the next 4-6 months then go for it they likely won't jump. If you aren't planning on upgrading I would highly encourage you to go with occelaris clowns over maroons.

I heard maroons can adapt to a small environment and dwarf themselves and basically change their genetic code but thank you much appreciated

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard maroons can adapt to a small environment and dwarf themselves and basically change their genetic code but thank you much appreciated
Nope. Changing genetics takes a whole lot more than just being placed in a small tank.

A healthy fish will grow to its natural size even in tiny quarters. However, in confined spaces there are factors that can stunt its growth. A fish with stunted growth is not healthy.

Not having enough space can negatively affect muscle growth and development, which stunts growth. Filtration is also not as effective for larger fish in small tanks. Dissolved organics, increased nutrient levels, and hormones secreted by the fish themselves can stunt their growth as well.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Changing genetics takes a whole lot more than just being placed in a small tank.

A healthy fish will grow to its natural size even in tiny quarters. However, in confined spaces there are factors that can stunt its growth. A fish with stunted growth is not healthy.

Not having enough space can negatively affect muscle growth and development, which stunts growth. Filtration is also not as effective for larger fish in small tanks. Dissolved organics, increased nutrient levels, and hormones secreted by the fish themselves can stunt their growth as well.

Ok cool thank you so much

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back