Golden trevally/"Pilot fish" (Gnathanodon speciosus)

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every once in a while, I come across juvenile golden trevally (Gnathanodon speciosus) (often erroneously referred to as pilot fish, which refers to Naucrates ductor) being offered by LFS's and online aquarium stores and I am forced to wonder, "what is a fish that grows to 47 inches long doing in the home aquarium trade?!"
I am curious to know what your experiences have been with these fish (if any) and what people do with them once they become too large (Do they get rehomed? Sent to the public aquarium? Euthanized? Released into the wild carrying nonnative pathogens? What happens when they outgrow even the largest of hobbyist tanks? Why do I have so many questions?). It is just too disturbing for me to not think about all the time, considering how these fish are so popular that they are being captive-bred for the hobby.

Juveniles:
File:“Pilot fish”.jpg

Adults:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manning the beginner stocking thread I met a person who wanted a true schooling fish and would not be talked out. He had a big tank at around 300 gallons but obviously nowhere near big enough for even one let alone a school. I think his plan was to grow them for a while and then eat them when they got too big. Then repeat…

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back