OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I replace the substrate with aquatic moss? Or will the miss not grow on the liner. I have black fish inside the pond and this is really the only reason I have the thin layered substrate at the bottom so I can see the fish swimming

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the pond settles it will get a build up on the sides my dad had a couple of tench in with his Koi and they could easily be seen.

I personally can't see moss settling on the bottom and all it will do in my opinion is keep floating about and clogging your pumps :(

Also the stones won't stay white for long ;)

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what fish you have in US but dad had

2 x tench bottom feeders mainly so helps keep the bottom clean.

2 x golden orf they are very susceptible to illness ect if there is any water issues may sound cruel but they was sacrificial fish if there was an issue they would be first to go and would then give you a chance to save the rest.

The rest of his stock was koi.

If you spend plenty of time beside the pond and with some effort you will get the fish to feed out of your hands as my dads use to.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon should only be used to remove meds and toxins. I run carbon in my tank but as you will know corals love to play nuclear warfare.

Remove the carbon you have no need for it in my opinion.

OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advice high plains! So really all I need to do is just sit on it and let nature take it's course. But as the forum reads, it's a goldfish pond. I have 4 fancy golds, 2 orandas, 4 black Moore, and 4 calico fancy tails. All are weak swimmers so the water flow will be an issue. I will cycle the pond with that and add more later.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly add filter floss filter may help but that's going to take some clearing.

High Plains Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep that's pretty black I would pull the rocks and see if you can rent a vacume from a local pond supply store or get some serious flow going and put a filter sock under the water fall or find a place you can put some filter floss to catch the carbon

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is filter floss? I've never heard of it

Google filter floss it filtrates fine particles I use it in my sump on right hand side it's what the water passes through first

20150511_1630050_zpsqg0d5u9q.jpg

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one glad it sorted looking good its good stuff that is i would recommend running it all the time this will stop debris clogging your media just bear in mind it will need cleaning more often or replacing should you decide to keep it in there :)

Looking at it some has settled on the substrate may be worth giving it a brush with a broom to get it back into water colum to get filtered out no chance of it getting sired up later then :) or it may just be shadows hard to tell by picture

High Plains Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to see that helped your skimmer should have a way to put some sort of filter mat in there when mine get clogged which they do on a regular basis I use pond water in a 5 gallon bucket to rinse them out then I throw it on the law its great fertilizer

Back