Gomi's Reef 1.0

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping to document my reefing journey, with what I'm calling Gomi's Reef 1.0.

First I'll give you a quick rundown of my reefing history.
In ~2007 (ish) my dad got his/our first reef tank (Gomi's Reef 0.25), an awkwardly shaped mixed reef that was a rock wall (as was the style at the time) that was running on T5s and fluval FX5 cannister filters. The tank I would say was somewhere between mediocre and a disaster. Filled with nitrates, phosphates and velvet.

But despite the challenges we caught the reefing bug. Fast-forward a couple more years, and after I had moved out the family had a house move and the tank was subsequently upgraded to an equally awkward tank that is 36 deep, 60 long and 24 wide, and euro-braced so is a real bugger to clean (Gomi's Reef 0.5).

The general arrangement was, I do the research and provide instruction for care and my dad pays for it. Though he often ignored input much to the detriment of the tank. The tank was sumped and during my research for this system I built a fantastic knowledge base through youtube the forums, and actual physical books. This tank is still ticking along but I have given up trying to fix a tank that he refuses to maintain to an adequate level. Though the depth is the biggest obstacle to that I suspect, and I will touch on this in my next post.

Eventually I moved to the US (from the UK) in 2015, and spent years doing research and building my knowledge base up and also building multiple theoretical tank builds in excel and powerpoint. But it was never the right time to pull the trigger and so I kept on delaying my own independent entry into the hobby.

Fast forward to this year, and again I was working on a theoretical build and my dear, dear, dear wife finally says - We work our butts off, with a constant view to delaying the gratification to make it a big payoff, but we need to also find ways to insert the things that bring us joy into our lives, so just get the tank.

So with a budget restriction (ignored), I started to flesh out the build idea with a view to pull the trigger and take advantage of the black friday and holiday deals (though it feels like they took advantage of me instead).

So on October 23rd I pre-ordered the Innovative Marine SR Pro 2| 60 AIO with the anticipated delivery date of the end of December.
Well they lied... It was delivered a month early and was in my apartment on November 28th.

And this feels like a good place to wrap up the first post of the thread.
On the next post I will go over the 'theme' of the tank, equipment choices etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tank: Innovative Marine SR Pro2| 60 AIO

OP
OP
Gomi's Reef

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello again,

As promised in this post I'll be covering the 'theme' or tank concept and the equipment choices.

To paraphrase a British YouTuber and coral farmer - Prestige Reef, at the start of a build the possibilities are endless but with each choice you make a series of doors start to close and your options begin to narrow. So with that in mind, I think taking the time to think about these choices ahead of time is very important. Not to your success but to your enjoyment of the hobby, you don't want to be looking at your tank regretting a choice that painted you into a corner and meant you had to make sacrifices elsewhere.

Such an experience shaped the choice of aquarium for this build. Having struggled with tall tanks during my formative reefing years I swore I would never go deeper than 24 inches to prevent looking at the tank with distain and bitterness and subsequently skipping essential maintenance. Fortunately a lot of the major aquarium brands in the US don't sell tanks much taller than that, unless you go custom.

The theme or concept of the tank will be an LPS dominant system, with maybe one piece or two of SPS and the odd softy. The inspiration for this came a few years ago from a beautiful tank ran known as Drew's Lagoon and this can be found on YouTube or Instagram for reference.

So with this is mind, some equipment choice pathways start to clear up:
- I don't need 200-500 par top to bottom.
- I don't need insane flow.
- I won't need a calcium reactor

Other equipment choices were forced by the AIO choice. No sump means:
- No Autofilter roller
- No large refugium
- No large in sump skimmer

Also, I've tried to save money in some areas to spend more somewhere else.

So get to the point...

RODI
IceCap 100GPD unit
Production rate was killing me as such it has since upgraded to a 200GPD and added an extra DI resin chamber

Mechanical Filtration
IM-NUVO Roller
This sits in the left hand first overflow chamber. Manual filter, give half a twist once a day.

Refugium Light
Tunze Ecochic 8831
This sits in the right hand first overflow chamber. Not switched on yet.

Heaters
1x 150W AquaEL Ultra
1x 100W AquaEL Ultra

I got these from the CoralVue outlet store, check close out, damaged box and you can save yourself a fortune. In fact they were so cheap I already have my backups ready to go.
These are in the second left side chamber

Carbon Reactor
1x Aquamaxx FR-M
A magnetically mounted small(ish) media reactor designed to sit in the rear chamber of an AIO. Will run carbon 1 week a month, once tank requires it.
This is in the second right sided chamber

Media
1 box of Marine Pure Spheres in a three of media bags
Held in a dark area of a local reefers sump of an established (and stunning) system for around 6 weeks prior to getting the tank wet.
Spread throughout the rear system

Skimmer
Aquamaxx HOB1.5
Bought new from eBay, damaged box for a significant cost reduction

Return Pump
2x IM Mighty Jet 538
Supplied as standard with the tank, with VCA RFG nozzles to keep everyone guessing

Rock/Aquascape
1x Caribsea Nano Reef Kit
1x Caribsea Nano Arches box
1x Caribsea Arches box

I will post pictures in a later post. I wanted a kind of HNSA using arches to create a network of caves and swim throughs. Held together by Two little fishies and BRS glue, with some love from instaset. Supported by TLF-epoxy, but later when I ran out I had to grab what the LFS had which was the SeaChem Epoxy.

Sand
1x Caribsea Original Grade Ocean Direct 20lb
1x Caribsea Original Grade Ocean Direct 40lb

I probably ordered too much, it is about 1.75-2 inches deep and i used roughly 50-55lbs.

Salt
Red Sea Blue Bucket

Flow
2x Jebao ELW-20s
ALIEXPRESS!!!!!!! Don't get ripped off folks. Save in some areas to spend more in others.
I run them on random anti-sync with each other, and between 20-45% output.
&
1x IceCap Gyre 2K
This runs at 20-50% during the daytime, on the hour for 10 mins it ramps up to 70% which creates a mini vortex and does occasionally suck some air and gives off a slurp, good way to know the hour has just passed. Exception is night time where it runs at a steady 30%
Is covered by the battery backup.
Battery Backup
1x IceCap Battery Backup

Cable Management
2x Adaptive Reef Standard black controller boards

Controller
1x HYDROS X4
1x HYDROS XP8
1x HYDROS XS
1x HYDROS WE-LE

Full Control system in attached image

Controller Display:
BMAX 10.1" Android 13 tablet
AliExpress, got a good deal (around $50) and makes life easier when goofing around near the system

ATO
HYDROS ATO System with JB Aquatics Modification for the Neptune LLS

ATO container
Mighty TUFF 13 Gallon Dog Food Container
No reef tax for a box to hold RO water.

Cabinet Lights
4x ULG motion sensor under cabinet lights
Sold in two packs on amazon, can run on battery or wired via USB-C

AutoFeeder
2x KIVNIEHI Wifi Autofeeder
This is the OEM of the autofeeder about to be released by GHL. It runs via wifi, has an easy app and allows you to select different portion sizes. But best of all it is pretty much silent unless you smush your ear up against it.

Display lights
A future post.

REEFWORK.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RODI: IceCap 100GPD unit upgraded to 200GPD
Mechanical Filtration: Innovative Marine - NUVO Roller
Refugium Light: Tunze Ecochic 8831
Heaters: 1x 150W AquaEL Ultra & 1x 100W AquaEL Ultra
Carbon Reactor: 1x Aquamaxx FR-M
Media: 1 box of Marine Pure Spheres in a three of media bags
Skimmer: Aquamaxx HOB1.5
Return Pump: 2x IM Mighty Jet 538
Rock/Aquascape: 1x Caribsea Nano Reef Kit, 1x Caribsea Nano Arches box, 1x Caribsea Arches box
Sand: Caribsea Original Grade Ocean Direct
Salt: Red Sea Blue Bucket
Flow: 2x Jebao ELW-20s & 1x IceCap 2K Gyre
Battery Backup: IceCap Battery BackUp
Controller Board: 2x Adaptive Reef Standard in black
Controller: HYDROS Ecosystem - X4, XS, XP8 & WE-LE
Controller Display: BMAX 10.1" Android 13 tablet
ATO: HYDROS + JB Aquatics Modification for Neptune Systems LLS
ATO Container: Mighty TUFF 13-gallon dog food container
Cabinet Lights: 4x ULG motion sensor under cabinet lights
Auto Feeder: 2x KIVNIEHI Wifi Autofeeder

OP
OP
Gomi's Reef

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cycle update:
1000006697.jpg

As mentioned earlier prior to setting the tank up I housed some marine pure spheres in a local reefers sump. They were kept in a dark area of the sump from an established and stunning reef system belonging to a reefer with 30+ years in the hobby.

I transferred my CaribSea life rock aquascape (pics coming soon) added the Ocean Direct sand and filled up the tank. I added the marine pure spheres on December 16th and added 5ml of Ammonium Chloride. Because I saw such a negligible bump in Ammonia on the 18th I added 7.5ml more. I saw a minor increase in ammonia but nitrites went off to the races.

1000006696.jpg

I was going back and forth on whether to do a water change this weekend, but since the nitrites have started to come down naturally I'm pretty happy with how it is going. I will wait until nitrites hit zero for a couple of days and then I'll add some more ammonia to see how quickly it can process it but I think the end is near.

1000006698.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rock/Aquascape: 1x Caribsea Nano Reef Kit, 1x Caribsea Nano Arches box, 1x Caribsea Arches box

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello again,

As promised in this post I'll be covering the 'theme' or tank concept and the equipment choices.

To paraphrase a British YouTuber and coral farmer - Prestige Reef, at the start of a build the possibilities are endless but with each choice you make a series of doors start to close and your options begin to narrow. So with that in mind, I think taking the time to think about these choices ahead of time is very important. Not to your success but to your enjoyment of the hobby, you don't want to be looking at your tank regretting a choice that painted you into a corner and meant you had to make sacrifices elsewhere.

Such an experience shaped the choice of aquarium for this build. Having struggled with tall tanks during my formative reefing years I swore I would never go deeper than 24 inches to prevent looking at the tank with distain and bitterness and subsequently skipping essential maintenance. Fortunately a lot of the major aquarium brands in the US don't sell tanks much taller than that, unless you go custom.

The theme or concept of the tank will be an LPS dominant system, with maybe one piece or two of SPS and the odd softy. The inspiration for this came a few years ago from a beautiful tank ran known as Drew's Lagoon and this can be found on YouTube or Instagram for reference.

So with this is mind, some equipment choice pathways start to clear up:
- I don't need 200-500 par top to bottom.
- I don't need insane flow.
- I won't need a calcium reactor

Other equipment choices were forced by the AIO choice. No sump means:
- No Autofilter roller
- No large refugium
- No large in sump skimmer

Also, I've tried to save money in some areas to spend more somewhere else.

So get to the point...

RODI
IceCap 100GPD unit
Production rate was killing me as such it has since upgraded to a 200GPD and added an extra DI resin chamber

Mechanical Filtration
IM-NUVO Roller
This sits in the left hand first overflow chamber. Manual filter, give half a twist once a day.

Refugium Light
Tunze Ecochic 8831
This sits in the right hand first overflow chamber. Not switched on yet.

Heaters
1x 150W AquaEL Ultra
1x 100W AquaEL Ultra

I got these from the CoralVue outlet store, check close out, damaged box and you can save yourself a fortune. In fact they were so cheap I already have my backups ready to go.
These are in the second left side chamber

Carbon Reactor
1x Aquamaxx FR-M
A magnetically mounted small(ish) media reactor designed to sit in the rear chamber of an AIO. Will run carbon 1 week a month, once tank requires it.
This is in the second right sided chamber

Media
1 box of Marine Pure Spheres in a three of media bags
Held in a dark area of a local reefers sump of an established (and stunning) system for around 6 weeks prior to getting the tank wet.
Spread throughout the rear system

Skimmer
Aquamaxx HOB1.5
Bought new from eBay, damaged box for a significant cost reduction

Return Pump
2x IM Mighty Jet 538
Supplied as standard with the tank, with VCA RFG nozzles to keep everyone guessing

Rock/Aquascape
1x Caribsea Nano Reef Kit
1x Caribsea Nano Arches box
1x Caribsea Arches box

I will post pictures in a later post. I wanted a kind of HNSA using arches to create a network of caves and swim throughs. Held together by Two little fishies and BRS glue, with some love from instaset. Supported by TLF-epoxy, but later when I ran out I had to grab what the LFS had which was the SeaChem Epoxy.

Sand
1x Caribsea Original Grade Ocean Direct 20lb
1x Caribsea Original Grade Ocean Direct 40lb

I probably ordered too much, it is about 1.75-2 inches deep and i used roughly 50-55lbs.

Salt
Red Sea Blue Bucket

Flow
2x Jebao ELW-20s
ALIEXPRESS!!!!!!! Don't get ripped off folks. Save in some areas to spend more in others.
I run them on random anti-sync with each other, and between 20-45% output.
&
1x IceCap Gyre 2K
This runs at 20-50% during the daytime, on the hour for 10 mins it ramps up to 70% which creates a mini vortex and does occasionally suck some air and gives off a slurp, good way to know the hour has just passed. Exception is night time where it runs at a steady 30%
Is covered by the battery backup.
Battery Backup
1x IceCap Battery Backup

Cable Management
2x Adaptive Reef Standard black controller boards

Controller
1x HYDROS X4
1x HYDROS XP8
1x HYDROS XS
1x HYDROS WE-LE

Full Control system in attached image

Controller Display:
BMAX 10.1" Android 13 tablet
AliExpress, got a good deal (around $50) and makes life easier when goofing around near the system

ATO
HYDROS ATO System with JB Aquatics Modification for the Neptune LLS

ATO container
Mighty TUFF 13 Gallon Dog Food Container
No reef tax for a box to hold RO water.

Cabinet Lights
4x ULG motion sensor under cabinet lights
Sold in two packs on amazon, can run on battery or wired via USB-C

AutoFeeder
2x KIVNIEHI Wifi Autofeeder
This is the OEM of the autofeeder about to be released by GHL. It runs via wifi, has an easy app and allows you to select different portion sizes. But best of all it is pretty much silent unless you smush your ear up against it.

Display lights
A future post.

REEFWORK.jpg

looks good but with all that expensive gear etc I would add a battery backup, a good one for like a rack of servers....you can generally find them off lease or after they are being retired and refresh the batteries. expensive yes, but, surge protection and a bit of battery backup, don't need it on lights or all the pumps etc, just the wave maker, and heater (depending on where you live) but it would allow for gas exchange and water floq for quite a while.

OP
OP
Gomi's Reef

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good but with all that expensive gear etc I would add a battery backup, a good one for like a rack of servers....you can generally find them off lease or after they are being retired and refresh the batteries. expensive yes, but, surge protection and a bit of battery backup, don't need it on lights or all the pumps etc, just the wave maker, and heater (depending on where you live) but it would allow for gas exchange and water floq for quite a while.
Hello there,

A few things on this but generally I agree with your point.

I'm currently in an apartment, when we finally get a house then switching to a more substantial battery backup system is high on the upgrade list but space, and even the number of outlets are currently constraints that I can't do too much about.

For now I'm just using the ice cap battery back up. The hydros is set up so that when it detects low power mode the gyre will run at about 20% to maximize run time. Where I live we don't have natural disasters and we don't have power cuts often and they're often short.

So in brief, I agree for now I have stop gap but will upgrade emergency-power plans in the future.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have natural disasters or lose power? where on earth is that, besides Arizona lol. I don't blame you in an apartment at all. When you get to a home, you might be better served, putting some money into the whole home surge protector solution at the power box, then you need no worry anywhere in the house. While not battery backup, it does protect the electronics and appliances, you should have a licensed electrician install it, and your insurance carrier might give you a bit of a break on homeowners (don't hold me to that though but worth the ask)

something like this ... https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/interior-projects/g43140886/best-whole-house-surge-protectors/

OP
OP
Gomi's Reef

Gomi's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello hello,

Another update on the cycle.

1704297610204.png

Nitrate finally bottomed out, and stayed stable for a few days.

To test if the cycle is truly complete I added 7.5ml (1.5 tsp) of Ammonium Chloride. If fully cycled the ammonia and subsequent nitrite should be rapidly processed.

Half an hour after spiking the Ammoniun Chloride, I tested and registered 0.25ppm Ammonia.
Lets see how this goes.

My lights arrive today so I will cover them in my next post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back