Goni dying?

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this Goni for close to a year now. At first i thought it had BJD. But it just doesn't have that "jelly" look. Is it simply dying for some reason? Pic shows a dead area that has slowly grown from the bottom up. Should i try placing it higher in the tank? i had it about 6" higher, but it was getting crowded out and remained closed for about 3 weeks. So i moved it down to it's own area on the sand bed.

Goni.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,move to area w decent flow,worth a try:)

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe it’s getting too much flow? I’d say low to medium for a Goni. Is it always retracted? If not try spot feeding w a syringe some reef roids in a paste w all the current and pumps off for like five minutes. Look on YouTube for how to if not familiar. If it’s constantly retracted make sure u don’t have any nipping fish etc. —reef roids are great for gonis and alveopora

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this Goni for close to a year now. At first i thought it had BJD. But it just doesn't have that "jelly" look. Is it simply dying for some reason? Pic shows a dead area that has slowly grown from the bottom up. Should i try placing it higher in the tank? i had it about 6" higher, but it was getting crowded out and remained closed for about 3 weeks. So i moved it down to it's own area on the sand bed.

Goni.jpg
Do you have pics of when it was healthy?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mine seem to do great in med flow ,just not a bashing flow
WP_20201026_001.jpg

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fishguy
Moving it down is not what did it as they don’t need a ton of light. How have your calcium and all levels been? Too low of either could cause some receding- make sure they’re good and start feeding that dude a little

OP
OP
toadfarm

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fishguy
Moving it down is not what did it as they don’t need a ton of light. How have your calcium and all levels been? Too low of either could cause some receding- make sure they’re good and start feeding that dude a little
Ca Is
Or maybe it’s getting too much flow? I’d say low to medium for a Goni. Is it always retracted? If not try spot feeding w a syringe some reef roids in a paste w all the current and pumps off for like five minutes. Look on YouTube for how to if not familiar. If it’s constantly retracted make sure u don’t have any nipping fish etc. —reef roids are great for gonis and alveopora
Ca 450
Mg 1450
Ak 8.7
I spot feed all corals twice a week. Here is a pic from above a couple months ago

20200527_181241.jpg

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm-well so far I'm not helping at all
Long shot but- Is it wild or captive bred? In the past gonis would have short life spans in captivity with sudden random deaths occurring- but then after a few hardy varieties were introduced combined with the great foods we have they've become much easier

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no new fish added recently?

It could be the algae on the skeleton- I’ve seen some algae that almost burrow into the skeleton and come up from underneath the edges to take over real estate— I can see some algae on the skeleton but could just be any various “regular” algae. Usually that’s the case where reg algae just take up the new real estate when the coral recedes for other reasons
I’ve lost many corals over the years to the whoknowswhy disease- it sux. And also many who make awesome comebacks
Sorry- not much help

OP
OP
toadfarm

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no new fish added recently?

It could be the algae on the skeleton- I’ve seen some algae that almost burrow into the skeleton and come up from underneath the edges to take over real estate— I can see some algae on the skeleton but could just be any various “regular” algae. Usually that’s the case where reg algae just take up the new real estate when the coral recedes for other reasons
I’ve lost many corals over the years to the whoknowswhy disease- it sux. And also many who make awesome comebacks
Sorry- not much help
Hopefully it makes a recovery. It does just seem like a type of algae. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't BJD. Thanks. I'll give it a week or two and update.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back