Goni help

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Gonis are not the easiest coral to keep and I didn’t plan on getting one, but my friend purchased it for me against my protests. It looked great at the LFS with extended polyps and clear signs of encrusting growth.

I’ve had it in the tank about a month and a half now and it is just not extending its polyps. I’ve moved it around many different areas to try increased/decreased flow and lighting to find an area that might work but nothing seems to help.

My water parameters are:
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.2
Alkalinity: 11.5
Magnesium: 1490
Temp: 78.2
Phosphate: 0.03
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Calcium: 450

Any ideas for what I can do to help? I’ve tried target feeding and broadcast feeding with reefroids and it doesn’t even seem to notice.

001A64EC-AE66-4300-B51C-0B106C7D3964.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of nitrates may be a problem. What kind of PAR/flow?
I'm trying to get nutrients up, I've almost doubled my feeding. As far as PAR goes, I have no idea. I've moved him around all over the place but have him in the sand right now in an almost shaded area with lower flow.

Fishwife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reeftank.jpg
I had a similar problem with mine. I moved him to mid tank with moderate lighting and flow. Once I got my alk up to 9ish, it was much happier. It's extended most of the time.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back