Goniapora growing

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I Have a green Goni just sitting on the sand skeleton to the sand. Will it grow wide or do I need it on a rock for it to encrust? Also Will it grow faster on different surfaces.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not encrust. Goni's are notoriously slow growers and only when parameters are right. I have had mine for almost two years and it is just 1/3 larger than its original size. I vote for mounting on a rock for the best probability of growth. I don't think the surface will have much of an effect on growth rates so long as the surface does not irritate the critter.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 mount it to a rock for better growth, sand does seems to irritate mine a bit

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Goni's grow pretty darn fast. Good flow and light seems to do them well. I have both long tentacle, short tentacle and micro Gonis.
I mount them to rock. Most of them grow in a golf ball shape.
Generally Goni's can touch, but the red/pink ones seem to be the exceptions. I had my pink one sting and kill a beautiful tan/green goni when they touched.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Goni's grow pretty darn fast. Good flow and light seems to do them well. I have both long tentacle, short tentacle and micro Gonis.
I mount them to rock. Most of them grow in a golf ball shape.
Generally Goni's can touch, but the red/pink ones seem to be the exceptions. I had my pink one sting and kill a beautiful tan/green goni when they touched.
@T-J could you share what your PAR numbers are? And, what you would consider "Good" flow. I have mine at about 200 PAR and quite a bit of flow. What do you consider "pretty darn fast", emperically? Also, share some of your pertinent parameters? Thank you.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@T-J could you share what your PAR numbers are? And, what you would consider "Good" flow. I have mine at about 200 PAR and quite a bit of flow. What do you consider "pretty darn fast", emperically? Also, share some of your pertinent parameters? Thank you.
I keep mine in 200-250 par. I have 2 MP40's on my 120g tank. Currently in Reef Crest mode. Some of the Gonis get moved around quite a bit (the micro and short tentacle ones get higher flow).
Alk: 9
Nitrate: 5
PO4: .05
Calc: 420
Lights: Radion XR15 G5 Pro running AB+
Growth: Here's a pic of my pink Goni. Pics are about 1 year apart. For reference, the left pic is a standard size frag plug. The skeleton under the tentacles on the right pic is larger than a golf ball.
7218DFBD-8FDC-4F30-91B9-5CF610CEC93F.jpg
IMG_1416.jpeg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in 200-250 par. I have 2 MP40's on my 120g tank. Currently in Reef Crest mode. Some of the Gonis get moved around quite a bit (the micro and short tentacle ones get higher flow).
Alk: 9
Nitrate: 5
PO4: .05
Calc: 420
Lights: Radion XR15 G5 Pro running AB+
Growth: Here's a pic of my pink Goni. Pics are about 1 year apart. For reference, the left pic is a standard size frag plug. The skeleton under the tentacles on the right pic is larger than a golf ball.
7218DFBD-8FDC-4F30-91B9-5CF610CEC93F.jpg
IMG_1416.jpeg
Thanks for that. So, that is comparable in growth to mine. Maybe a bit more. So, I'm not too far off, growthwise.

Back