Goniopora/alveopora extending extremely far

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

i have a little garden of gonis/alveopora and they get along pretty well, at first there was some stinging of each other, but after separating out the colonies that weren’t cooperating, things are going well..too well.

All of the corals in the garden are doing great, growing, albeit at a moderate rate, but also having very long polyp extension. It’s at the point where they reach corals ~6 inches or more from the coral. At night the polyps completely retract and shows the true size.

These long polyps sometimes put out stingers and sting my other corals. Not badly enough to kill anything, but I can say that the nearby corals aren’t too happy with the extension. I’m debating fragging and selling to my LFS, but was curious if any experts know if this extension is due to them reaching for light due to lack of it? Could I tune my light to reduce this extension so I won’t have to remove corals? Is that even advised since all of my other corals are thriving?

here is a pic of said Goni extension (excuse glass algae, growing out some free snail food). They are slightly off centered in my tank so they receive some of the most light in my tank. I don’t have specific par readings but i use BRS recommended settings at 50% power on an AI prime16HD which sits 8 inches above my tank.

4B385954-EDFB-4D32-9217-7B3F2F782372.jpeg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big puffy Goni is usually a happy Goni. They can vary greatly in tentacle size from one to another.

a higher par might cause it to retract less

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back