Goniopora and temperature

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought a large greenish blueish goniopora a few weeks ago and i also got a small red one in a trade.

The red one i found out had half its flesh dead. But the polyps were still there and hiding it. However it extended nicely in my tank. The big one is super healthty though. And in 30 min extended in my tank and inflated quite nicely.

However i realized my tank temperatures were 76-77f. Because i had turned my heaters off for the summer. As my room and tank is always 80-84f in the summer.

So i turned my heaters back on and set them to 82f. Took a day or so as one 300w heater was broken so i had to substitute it for a 150. So i have 1 300 and 1 150w in the tank. They are also fighting the low fall temperatures hense why it took awhile to fully warm up the tank. My room is now about 70f instead of 80-84.

Anyway, the gonis arent extending anymore. The red one has its polyps out but the other everything is shrunken in. All my other corals are fine and infact my lps are inflating more at 82f than at 76-77.

Do gonis only like cool temps ? Or could it simoly be a shock going from 76-77 to 82 in 24hrs ? For now im keeping my tank at 82 and its been that for about 3 days now but still no extention.

Should i lower the tank or see if the gonis adapt ?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red goniopora along with all my other corals do fine with temps from
76-83. Whats keeping you from lowering thw tempback down if that's what it was happy at?

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because my other corals have been in the 80s for years. So i didnt wanna shock them. I guess ill drop the temp and see if it extends again..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back