Goniopora bud

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Earlier today, I saw a little green nub by my Goni. I thought it was a fragment of a mushroom. Just now I realize, I am so wrong. I need a macro lens and no one in town sells them. I have spent my money on frags vs a macro lens. I am so ashamed of myself.
The little buddling has 3 tentacles. And is slowly growing and reaching for the light.

I thought this was too cute not to share. The little bud will probably be dragged off into oblivion with my tuxedo urchin the day he passes by.

goni buds.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Earlier today, I saw a little green nub by my Goni. I thought it was a fragment of a mushroom. Just now I realize, I am so wrong. I need a macro lens and no one in town sells them. I have spent my money on frags vs a macro lens. I am so ashamed of myself.
The little buddling has 3 tentacles. And is slowly growing and reaching for the light.

I thought this was too cute not to share. The little bud will probably be dragged off into oblivion with my tuxedo urchin the day he passes by.

goni buds.jpg
You should attached him/her to a rock - so as not to be removed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This guy is super small. I don't know how I could do that without killing it.

The mother of the bud is 3 inches across.
you can do it - what do you have to lose?

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's still there this morning, he's small so I don't know if the urchin wants to pick something the size of 3 sand grains up.

I'll have to call around for micro / jewelers lens.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how long it will take this little guy to grow and i'm scared to attempt to mount it to anything. I feel like I'd crush it with tweezers.
Edit: It is growing a new tentacle though.

budding.jpg
Your hands are soft enough to handle the bud, the trick is not getting any glue on the skin;Bucktooth

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to do it, I glued the little one to a rock. I don't know, can't tell if glue got onto the tissue, it's so small.
It does have a cone shape skeleton. I had a choice, leave it and let it get buried in sand, or try to save it.
I'll know more once it opens up. Next to it is a mini feather duster. I didn't even know it was on that little chunk. For now it looks like this. So small.

gonibud04.jpg gonibud05.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do it, I glued the little one to a rock. I don't know, can't tell if glue got onto the tissue, it's so small.
It does have a cone shape skeleton. I had a choice, leave it and let it get buried in sand, or try to save it.
I'll know more once it opens up. Next to it is a mini feather duster. I didn't even know it was on that little chunk. For now it looks like this. So small.

Well done!

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We'll know soon. I am so praying there's no glue on the skin. I wish I could have taken pictures of the cone shape. It's difficult without a proper camera. The bud is slowly opening atm though.

Edit: if this guy survives, this will be fun to keep a record of. There's a lot of growing up and surviving to do, even in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An update. After making it severely upset with glue. It is now adjusting and showing polyp extension. I may need to secure the little rock down and someone flipped it over this morning.

Attachments

• gonibud007.jpg
    gonibud007.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 19

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well done!!!

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am very happy with the situation. It was an interesting find as I lost a mushroom not long ago. I thought it was a fragment of what melted away. Nope, it was a goniopora bud. Makes me wonder how often they release a bud and we never know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We'll know soon. I am so praying there's no glue on the skin. I wish I could have taken pictures of the cone shape. It's difficult without a proper camera. The bud is slowly opening atm though.

Edit: if this guy survives, this will be fun to keep a record of. There's a lot of growing up and surviving to do, even in a reef tank.
Even if you got a little glue on the tissue it should be ok

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if you got a little glue on the tissue it should be ok
Your hands are soft enough to handle the bud, the trick is not getting any glue on the skin;Bucktooth
Thank you both for the much needed support. I'll update next with more visible growth.
It was nice to see the bud was on the sand. But the size of them, they could be lost so easy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back