Goniopora Frag Question

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this tiny frag of Goniopora. When I was at the LFS, at first I thought it was sort of Zoa since I didn’t see any stalk but they said it was either an Alveopora or a Goniopora but it was too small to count the tentacles to know for sure. I took it home and took a pic to find it was a Goni. So my question is this. This frag, even at the LFS didn’t have a stalk. Is this an issue? Does it take a while to grow out? I want to mention that when it retracts, it doesn’t even look like there’s anything on the frag. Also, ignore the turf algae, my Pincushion urchin hasn’t eaten that portion yet.
F65B35DF-446D-42EE-8BD0-BD007D2B03E6.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are some goniopora that sit very low on the rock. Either this is a real 'baby' or its one of the lower types - OR - its still stressed from the move/new tank (i.e. goniopora can look like this when they are nearly all the way 'in' their skeleton. Do you perhaps have it in too much light?

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some goniopora that sit very low on the rock. Either this is a real 'baby' or its one of the lower types - OR - its still stressed from the move/new tank (i.e. goniopora can look like this when they are nearly all the way 'in' their skeleton. Do you perhaps have it in too much light?
So it was like this at the LFS as well (LFS was @Living Reef Orlando ). That section of the tank is around 150’ish par at peak. There may be too much flow, though. Could that cause it to be like that as well or a real ‘baby’? That frag is about 1/2”.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it was like this at the LFS as well (LFS was @Living Reef Orlando ). That section of the tank is around 150’ish par at peak. There may be too much flow, though. Could that cause it to be like that as well or a real ‘baby’? That frag is about 1/2”.
I have my goniopora in a pretty high flow area (there is also pretty high flow in m y whole tank). It could just be one that is shorter.
So which would it be? Baby frag or too much flow?
Sorry I forgot to post the last reply. I think it could be either. I do not think goniopora need a 'low flow'. There are goniopora that are naturally short. Its impossible to tell. I would call the store you bought it from - and ask them what they sold you - an encrusting (short polyp coral) - or a long polyp version. If its a long-polyp version, the coral looks stressed. My guess is that its supposed to look that way

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back