Goniopora in captivity!

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ups and downs with Goniopora .. they are pretty ... in fact super pretty, especially those long stems one (never liked the encrusting version).

Long story short ....

What's their chance in a captivity, where no target feeding happen; only broadcast feeding ?

My resume with Goniopora:
  • 2012: Red encrusting .... status: 1 polyp left; never comes out but very hardy; can be considered goneski.
  • 2014: Long stem red .... status: dead ...
  • 2016: Neo bright green/yellow .. status: thriving!!!
This is the reason I'm thinking to get another red ... they're not a cheap coral.

Please chime in :)

#LPSexperts #Goniopora #FlowerPot

IMG_9682.jpg

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one coral that has always gave me fits, I currently have a pink one that I've had for about a year. Although here lately it hasn't been to happy.
I've never target fed it until this week going to give it another week if it doesn't perk up it's going in a bigger system.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our resume looks very similar. I've been trying to keep these since the late 90s with basically no success. I had pretty much given up on them. Then a friend gave me a small frag of a fast growing colony from his tank. I found a rock I could mount the coral on that would keep it out of the sand where it could be choked, infected, or even worse covered. That seemed to do the trick. I've had it for several years now and it is doing very well, and I never target feed it either. So I think you need to find a frag from a colony that is well establish in an aquarium environment. IMHO

For scale: That Gigas is 30" long and the Gonipora is only open half way.
P1160779.JPG

This is my old system it was in originally:
P1140407.JPG

Last edited:

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my red goniopora for the better part of a year and havnt target fed it once. The whole tank gets dosed phytoplankton daily as well as 'fuel' 2x per week.

He's on the sandbed receiving higher flow w/ moderate lighting.
d4b7b6adef79cd158bbd15d5e4e7b57c.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back