Goniopora is infested with weird tiny bugs.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a small frag of an unknown micro goniopora. Recently it would not extend. For the last week.
I did a dip and all these small little things fell off. I do not have a microscope. This is as close to them as I could get.
Any ideas? I don't think red acropora bugs would eat a goni.. I just don't know. That's what they look like to me. And I have no acros. My only sps is a birdsnest coral.
bugs.jpg

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I couldn't zoom in any more. They are slightly bigger than a tip of a needle.
They fell off a minute after dipping. They were moving around in the water. So, I don't know. I never seen these before.
bugs.jpg

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly still cant say. One unfounded guess aeolid type flat worm. Small and brown/dark is all I can see. Here's a good tip though. Maybe at even a dollar store find a decent magnifying glass or jewelers loupe. Can get some decent pics just bringing phone to lens of loupe. Example very tiny dwarf cerith taken with phone and a loupe. Get one you'll love it.

magsnail2.jpg

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly are a type of pod at least, and from what I know flatworms don’t really swim about all that much, nor do they really move with much vigor anyways, so I’d say the unfounded guess is…well, unfounded. It looks like there’s some detritus or sand or something in there too, and I’m no expert but you‘d think detritus settling on a coral would irritate it y’know?

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They certainly are a type of pod at least, and from what I know flatworms don’t really swim about all that much, nor do they really move with much vigor anyways, so I’d say the unfounded guess is…well, unfounded. It looks like there’s some detritus or sand or something in there too, and I’m no expert but you‘d think detritus settling on a coral would irritate it y’know?
I found my problem. It was my powder blue tang. All my gonis are growing back now that he has been rehomed. Only because of fish aggression.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back