Goniopora retracted for a week

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded the stock return pump to a Sicce 0.5 last Saturday (6 days ago) in my 10 gallon nuvo and added a spin stream nozzle. Since then my goniopora has staying retracted. There is a difference between how it looks in the day and in the night, so I know it is getting some light, but the polyps are not out at all. I don't know if it is getting too much flow or is just cranky from the change.

If 1 then I'd take the jebao wave maker offline (which is why I got the spin stream and upgraded pump in the first place!). If 2 then I need to keep the jebao online, and if 3 then I need to just keep things stable.

My parameters have not changed (nitrate is below 2ppm using salifert, All, Cal Mg all in normal ranges). I did have a bacterial bloom for a day or two after I changed the water on saturday cause I was too aggressive with the substrate. I've had the tank for a month and half, the goni came with the tank (it was a used set up) and I don't know how long its been in the system.

Any advice or support would be super appreciated!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly likely the flow. Gonis like moderate indirect flow. To much, and they retract.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis can be very iffy... Most wild caught don't last long, much better chance if its aquacultured.
Hope it survives for you.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly likely the flow. Gonis like moderate indirect flow. To much, and they retract.

What is strange is it was doing very well with the standard pump and a jebao powerhead on the lowest setting blowing directly on it. I guess the new pump is just too foreful even with the spin stream

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis can be very iffy... Most wild caught don't last long, much better chance if its aquacultured.
Hope it survives for you.

Thanks me too- since I got it as frag I sort of assume it’s not wild caught but I can’t know for sure since it came with the tank which I got from Craigslist.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok switched the return pump back to the old one today- Goni isn’t out but let’s hope it comes out tomorrow!

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Some polyps are sort of peaking out but hard to tell how different this is. I will wait a few more days before making any changes.

F30212FB-37F8-4A8B-879A-0CB184C7EA7C.jpeg

263243D5-BF40-426A-A5E3-F3E9B768A6ED.jpeg

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change from yesterday... should I reduce the flow even more by taking the jebao off line?

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an update in case anyone finds this thread in the future with a similar problem or is just interested. A water change seemed to make a difference, but the goni is still not out as much as it once was (I'd say it went from being 10% out to 30-50%). We'll see what happens with time!

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an update in case anyone finds this thread in the future with a similar problem or is just interested. A water change seemed to make a difference, but the goni is still not out as much as it once was (I'd say it went from being 10% out to 30-50%). We'll see what happens with time!

Happened same thing with me. Did a water change and added another jebao to tank, what, the Goni just went shut for weeks. It recovered slowly, like I see yours is. Then I changed its position, until I saw significant improvement in its condition(in my case I had to change its position 2 times) but be aware after changing position too Goni will go shut completely again for few days.
Try keeping your nitrate a bit high, IME, they like it that way, and you’ll be amazed how quickly it recovers.
Currently I have only 2 fish in my 185gallon, which is almost negligible. So I feed heavy to my corals, and this trick has worked for my Goni specially.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened same thing with me. Did a water change and added another jebao to tank, what, the Goni just went shut for weeks. It recovered slowly, like I see yours is. Then I changed its position, until I saw significant improvement in its condition(in my case I had to change its position 2 times) but be aware after changing position too Goni will go shut completely again for few days.
Try keeping your nitrate a bit high, IME, they like it that way, and you’ll be amazed how quickly it recovers.
Currently I have only 2 fish in my 185gallon, which is almost negligible. So I feed heavy to my corals, and this trick has worked for my Goni specially.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I half want to go back to the sicce pump and spin stream and take the jebao out of my tank (which was my initial goal). I think I will
Wait a few more weeks and see if they Goni comes out again. I haven’t moved the Goni but I am considering it. Do you have any advice about where to place the Goni?

It is strange to me how it has gone from doing better and better to staying retracted after such a minor change. It is the most sensitive and slow to recover coral I have by far.

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. I half want to go back to the sicce pump and spin stream and take the jebao out of my tank (which was my initial goal). I think I will
Wait a few more weeks and see if they Goni comes out again. I haven’t moved the Goni but I am considering it. Do you have any advice about where to place the Goni?

It is strange to me how it has gone from doing better and better to staying retracted after such a minor change. It is the most sensitive and slow to recover coral I have by far.

Yes gonis are finicky AF!! What I’ve seen with my Goni is it doesn’t like a lot of flow, so I’ve placed him in a indirect medium to low flow area. Just try bumping your nitrates up marginally.
I make a mix of multiple foods for my corals.
Sea Chem phytoplankton, sea chem zooplankton, cyclopeeze, and baby brine shrimp. I mix all this, and feed the tank. My Goni is doing really good. Many lfs in my country say corals respond really good to reefroids, so I’ll try that now.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goni that has had great polyp extension since the day I put it in the tank. Just this week it was closed for a few days then it suddenly was opening slightly. I found my mag was a bit low and after dosing today it is fully extended as ever
3c104044abd31b6098ad3bb77a21a2f1.jpg

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
278739f6ed9511596a3e89b3188e1a40.jpg

Here’s my Goni with full polyp extension
It keeps switching between fully extended to partially extended.
342a8956bbca9d34e41ea134574f1c7b.jpg

mrniceguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic of mine I'm struggling with as well. Been closed up for a couple days now
20180927_081720.jpeg

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Goni has better PE than before but it is also losing tissue and has this weird dark protuberance in the middle. Any idea what is happening? You can see this tissue loss on the right hand corner. The protuberance sometimes has a dark string coming out.

The Goni came with the tank (used set up). It always had this dark bump in the middle and some evidence of tissue loss, but thing seem to be getting worse

Should I dip it? Move it?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back