Goniopora too far gone?

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so what ever happened to it? I have the same issue
I remembered the tank condition was not good (zero phosphate and nitrate, caused Dino outbreak), the polyps were not as extended but looked ok. And one day when I wanted to blow the dust off the Goni, the skin just flew off. Then most of the polyps died quickly, only a few left struggling…

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the front is healthy and back portion likely will not return. The content of Manganese in typical salt mix not enough for their needs
Here are a couple of mine:

1682898310207.png
1682898450482.png
How do you test for Manganese? do you does it somehow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you test for Manganese? do you [dose] it somehow?

You can't really test manganese without ICP, and, even then, it should not be detectible without an ICP-MS grade test (such as Oceamo's MS test).

I mix a 100 ppm solution of manganese chloride (lab grade salt I got off of Amazon) in RODI water. I dose about 6 mL / day on my 320 gallon, and that seems to be keeping it somewhat detectible in my system.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had come come back from about that size to the size of a golf ball currently - I would give it an iodine dip and blow off the dead tissue.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this injured goni from Cali Kid two weeks ago. It was stung by a favia and half of it died. The other half was semi-extended (I'm not sure if it was a bernardpora fully extended, or a goniopora semi extended, but it was sold as a goni). In my tank, it has never extended and now seems to be severely retracted beyond saving. It's acclimating at 55 PAR and low flow. Is there anything I can do to save it or is it too late? First picture is a day after it was placed in my tank, second picture is today.

salinity: 1.025 (milwaukee refractometer, TM hydrometer)
pH: 7.9 night, 8.05 day (Apex)
temp: 77F (Apex)
phosphate: 0.14 ppm (hanna colorimeter)
nitrate: ~5 ppm (Nyos)
calcium: 450 ppm (Red Sea)
alkalinity: 8.2 (hanna colorimeter)
magnesium: 1460 ppm (Aquaforest)
ammonia: ~0ppm (Red Sea)

20230429_123745.jpg

20230429_113523.jpg

PS - if anyone has one for sale or know where I can buy this again, let me know! Hot pink polyps with yellow center. The micro goni with red polyps and yellow center is common, but I haven't seen this pink variant anywhere. This was my wife's favorite pick, so if I can't find a replacement, she may not let me buy anymore high end corals lol
I think I saw that kind of Goni on hellfire frags website actually

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can't really test manganese without ICP, and, even then, it should not be detectible without an ICP-MS grade test (such as Oceamo's MS test).

I mix a 100 ppm solution of manganese chloride (lab grade salt I got off of Amazon) in RODI water. I dose about 6 mL / day on my 320 gallon, and that seems to be keeping it somewhat detectible in my system.
Link to manganese chloride you buy? My ICP test has consistently come back with low manganese, and I have Gonis, so I’m interested in dosing it.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Any risks of overdosing manganese? Since it’s not testable without ICP, I’m wondering what the potential side effects would be if it were potentially and inadvertently elevated above what is desirable.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back