Goniopora too far gone?

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this injured goni from Cali Kid two weeks ago. It was stung by a favia and half of it died. The other half was semi-extended (I'm not sure if it was a bernardpora fully extended, or a goniopora semi extended, but it was sold as a goni). In my tank, it has never extended and now seems to be severely retracted beyond saving. It's acclimating at 55 PAR and low flow. Is there anything I can do to save it or is it too late? First picture is a day after it was placed in my tank, second picture is today.

salinity: 1.025 (milwaukee refractometer, TM hydrometer)
pH: 7.9 night, 8.05 day (Apex)
temp: 77F (Apex)
phosphate: 0.14 ppm (hanna colorimeter)
nitrate: ~5 ppm (Nyos)
calcium: 450 ppm (Red Sea)
alkalinity: 8.2 (hanna colorimeter)
magnesium: 1460 ppm (Aquaforest)
ammonia: ~0ppm (Red Sea)

20230429_123745.jpg

20230429_113523.jpg

PS - if anyone has one for sale or know where I can buy this again, let me know! Hot pink polyps with yellow center. The micro goni with red polyps and yellow center is common, but I haven't seen this pink variant anywhere. This was my wife's favorite pick, so if I can't find a replacement, she may not let me buy anymore high end corals lol

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's when I just put it in my tank 2 weeks ago. Look at the second picture, that's what it is now. Do you think there are still tissues left to save?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's when I just put it in my tank. Look at the second picture, that's what it is now. Do you think there are still tissues left to save?
Take this to aquaSD in your city and have them frag it for you and place in center tank and add both aminos and manganese

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a green goni that has almost lost all tissues, only with a few heads alive and extends only a little bit… but strange that it stays like that for a couple months, no sign of dying further but no sign of growing back….

natalia la loca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popping in because I’m currently helping a goni recover from an overzealous algae treatment. I don’t see any living tissue in the second pic. If you look at the frag under blues, does any part of it fluoresce? If not, goni is probably a goner.

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this to aquaSD in your city and have them frag it for you and place in center tank and add both aminos and manganese
Is there a reason why it should be fragged first? If it's dead, it looks like the whole thing is dead already, and if not, then the whole thing is uniformly stressed.

I have amino I can add, but I'll have to pick up some manganese. Is the manganese from water changes not enough?

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popping in because I’m currently helping a goni recover from an overzealous algae treatment. I don’t see any living tissue in the second pic. If you look at the frag under blues, does any part of it fluoresce? If not, goni is probably a goner.
I don't see any fluorescence, but at the same time the "hole" where the tissue is doesn't look completely bare with white skeleton.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there a reason why it should be fragged first? If it's dead, it looks like the whole thing is dead already, and if not, then the whole thing is uniformly stressed.

I have amino I can add, but I'll have to pick up some manganese. Is the manganese from water changes not enough?
the front is healthy and back portion likely will not return. The content of Manganese in typical salt mix not enough for their needs
Here are a couple of mine:

1682898310207.png
1682898450482.png

Alfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the front is healthy and back portion likely will not return. The content of Manganese in typical salt mix not enough for their needs
Here are a couple of mine:

1682898310207.png
1682898450482.png
this is what confused me from the OP photos.They are before and after, seems like it is all dead from what he wrote later.

natalia la loca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest adding amino, manganese, and a new goniopora frag

Seriously, on the off chance that any of it is still alive, which seems highly doubtful, it’ll take ages to recover. Fwiw I think I’ve seen pink gonis with yellow centers at Cherry Coral before.

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green goni that has almost lost all tissues, only with a few heads alive and extends only a little bit… but strange that it stays like that for a couple months, no sign of dying further but no sign of growing back….
so what ever happened to it? I have the same issue

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
is manganese really the secret here? I don't even have a test for that
Mine often pouted and was told manganese and always happy - So, is it the manganese or daily water changes I do ?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back