Gooch's 12 gallon Aquapod

I have used Tahitian moon and haven't had that happen.....If you want a black sand that might be a way to go. It's silica based but really nice none the less.....Sorry to see you have to start over....
 
Well teh sand bed swap went well. Now I am going through thte normal diatom bloom. I went to the LFS to get some snails. All they had were ceriths. 3 for $11. So I got three(ouch). One turned out to be an empty shell. The other was a blue legged hermit and the third was an actual cerith. I guarantee it is the last time I go into that LFS. I then asked my boss at the new store if he had any snails in his tank at his house. He tells me yeah they breed in his system. I'm like sure...right. He says no they look like mexiacn turbo snails but they only get to about a half inch in his tank. Says he has thousands and they breed in his overflow. So he gives me a handfull and sure enough they look like baby turbo's. They are doing a good job. I also got some tryout corals from my buddy at Midwest Saltwater. Some goochsters, tubs blues and a funky pink and green zoanthid that is really cool. Also got a hammer frag and a cool candycane. I had gotten these before I swapped out the sand and all but the goochsters look great. But it is only two polyps and one is wide oen the other just hasn't recovered from the sand bed swap.

I would take pics but the glass is a little dirty since my cleaning magnet is out of commision.

Oh in case anyone is wondering. I never got a return e-mail even from the maufacturer of the sand. I don't know why that doesn't suprise me. Guess what substrate will not be going in my 8 foot tank when I get it?

gooch
 
I got some snails that were supposed to be the mini turbo's but mine do not look like mini turbos because they have a pointy shell and not round. Mine do stay small and multiply. I like them because of their size, they can get inbetween anything... When knocked off of somehting they put out a thread like a spider and hang there in the weater column. They also like to sit in high current areas. Is it possible to get a pic of yours? I would like to compair..

Dave
 
Here are the snails.

001-4.jpg

002-4.jpg


Here is the full tank shot.

005-2.jpg


My camera just isn't what it use o be. I can not get very good close ups anymore.
 
Yea not what I have, Mine are way smaller and look different. If yours end up breeding maybe we could trade a few latter. Always nice to have diversity esp. if they multiply and resupply themselves.
Ever hear back from the manufacturer of the sand?

Dave
 
No reply from the sand company. I can probably get you some of these snails when you swing through to go to fosters & smith swap this summer.
 
your lfs sounds like mine, 3 snails for 11 bucks. 1 empty house 2 hermit and 3 maybe. sure you ant local. lol very nice try out corals too
 
Hate it for ya on the sand issue. Love the rock! Unique and different, makes it your own, very cool!
 
Yeah, the rock should look awesome once it colors up. Just need to introduce some coralline algae into the tank. After adding those snails to the tank there is not a stitch of algae on the rock or sand bed. Still gotta clean the glass but that's a given.

Even the wife is staring at the tank more and more. She likes the tubs blues the best. I am getting two australian elegance frags from Larry at Edens Gate CC next week. I am so excited about that. It is my one all time favorite coral. I had one once that was about 15" across.
 
I got a nice duncan, candy cane frag and frogspawn frag. Also got three more zoanthid frags. I didn't take a pic of these yet. They are only partially opened right now. But they look good. Thse came from Midwest Saltwater


009-3.jpg

008-3.jpg

003-5.jpg
 
Elegance frag? Do they have the same problems as the colonies that die 98% of the time as well? Just wondering cause I have never really seen elegance sold in that manner like that before.
 
From everything I am hearing the elegance corals coming from Australia do not have the same issues as the indo ones. I am also hearing the indo ones are much healthier than years past. I know of a couple people now that have indo elegance corals doing very well in the tanks. One of my buddies has even fragged one up that was doing poorly from shipping(not diseased) and the frags survived. This use to be one of the hardiest corals you could get.

These are definately frags and Larry keeps them for months before he sells them. These two are awesome and they were shipped great and opened in less than an hour.
 
Looks great! I'm happy u got that sand out and some good stuff in.
 
006-2.jpg

Added a neon green polyp toadstool frag from my original colony now owned by my brother. Some mushrooms and a few more zoanthids.

I got these from midwest saltwater too. He is gonna call them grape apes.

My camera sucks so the pic is bad but you get the idea. They are sweet.
017-1.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new