Good Acro Crab or Bad?

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has stripped the side of one of my Acros. He was in another one that did need help recovering and now it is. But, he moved over to this one that I thought was doing well. It is a fuzzy relish brown color with blue eyes. Thoughts?
Acro Crab.jpg

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the photos. If you can get him out, post some photos and I'll give you an ID.

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get better pics. But, based on the other coral that he ate part of and it is now recovering. I'm thinking it may be Cymo Melanodactylus, or The Furry Coral Crab. If so, he maybe destroying my Acro.

Named for the setae covered, ‘furry’ appearance of its carapace, this crab actually feeds on mucus secreted by the coral, dead coral tissue, and floating zooplankton/detritus. At first thought to be an infesting pest species, later studies have concluded that C. melanodactylus crabs actually slow/reverse progression of tissue loss caused by White Syndrome (WS) in acroporid corals, rather than acting as a potential vector.

White band disease is a coral disease that affects acroporid corals and is distinguishable by the white band of dead coral tissue that it forms. The disease completely destroys the coral tissue of Caribbean acroporid corals, specifically elkhorn coral (Acropora palmata) and staghorn coral. (A. cervicornis).

It is fascinating to learn that on the micro scale the predatory behavior of coral crabs like Cymo melanodactylus are harmful but at the large ecosystem scale their efforts amount to surgical grazing, removing disease flesh to make an overall healthier colony.

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought is Blue Eyed Crab, considered an SPS parasite. Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am floating him tonight. All research on the web says Blue Eyed Hairy Acro Crab ie SPS parasite. From what I am reading they only eat SPS so the fuge would be a slow death. Again thanks for any comments before he receives his final sentence tomorrow.

Last edited:

eleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeeep he's super adorable!!! Toss him in the sump. Try meaty foods. Maybe toss him. Pies of green slimmer every now and then if he needs it.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put those guys in the sump. They are common on mariculture and eat the sps polyps, so not reef safe.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back