Good blue fish for nano reef

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I've been wondering about the last fish for my nano reef, and I feel I want a nice blue. This fish would have to be incredibly peaceful and hardy and I'd prefer it to swim in the water column rather than perching on the sand bed and rocks. Hopefully I'm not being too picky with this, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a few of these parameters.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sapphire damsel Chrysiptera cf. springeri so blue so pretty and peaceful. I put it in a nano with a super aggressive clown that attacked anything I put in the tank including my hand. For whatever reason once I put it in the clown chilled out and doesn't bite anymore
20200730_070736.jpg

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few and they’re not aggressive at all. Mine are small. I can’t speak for larger or older ones

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sapphire damsel Chrysiptera cf. springeri so blue so pretty and peaceful. I put it in a nano with a super aggressive clown that attacked anything I put in the tank including my hand. For whatever reason once I put it in the clown chilled out and doesn't bite anymore
20200730_070736.jpg
U changed the dynamics in the tank

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue damsels are good. They really arent to aggressive. They also have tiny mouths so most larger or similar sized fish should out them in their place. Mine does fine, even with my clown.

OP
OP
Rednamalas

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great tank! Is that a flowerpot coral? Anyways back on topic, would the damsels be ok with an incredibly timid fish such as the fire fish? I've been really considering the damsels however I'd be worried they'd bully the fire fish.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great tank! Is that a flowerpot coral? Anyways back on topic, would the damsels be ok with an incredibly timid fish such as the fire fish? I've been really considering the damsels however I'd be worried they'd bully the fire fish.

Yes its a flowerpot, stupid clownfish just started hosting it lol. But like you see in the beginning of the video, the damsel isn't bugging anyone and swimming midway in the way column like you want. They are also cheap. If you get the pure blue ones especially, you will be fine in most cases.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blue green chromis
Electric blue damsel
Mandarin goby

OP
OP
Rednamalas

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue green chromis
Electric blue damsel
Mandarin goby
So thanks for the suggestions, I'm probably not going with the mandarin seeing as I'm not sure if I can maintain a solid population of pods. I've actually been really looking at a single chromis, but I'm not sure because I do not want to introduce uronema into my tank and I've heard that chromis recently have been doing awful because of a spike uromema in recent years. Is this true? If not I feel a chromis would be a safer option than another type of damsel.

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thanks for the suggestions, I'm probably not going with the mandarin seeing as I'm not sure if I can maintain a solid population of pods. I've actually been really looking at a single chromis, but I'm not sure because I do not want to introduce uronema into my tank and I've heard that chromis recently have been doing awful because of a spike uromema in recent years. Is this true? If not I feel a chromis would be a safer option than another type of damsel.

The colors of a blue or green chromis don’t compare to a damsel. Imo chromis get uglier as they get bigger. Uronema is why I’ve avoided chromis (although damsels can be susceptible too).

OP
OP
Rednamalas

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors of a blue or green chromis don’t compare to a damsel. Imo chromis get uglier as they get bigger. Uronema is why I’ve avoided chromis (although damsels can be susceptible too).
Yeah I assumed as much about the chromis, but you're sure about the damsels not showing any signs of aggression? Sorry if I'm coming off as rude, it's just that having peaceful damsels goes against everything I've learned haha.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For chromis, get one that’s eating and shows no skin issues and give it a freshwater bath before introducing into the tank

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cocoa damsels are very friendly and live in a small school. Don’t even bother me at all when I go to clean the tank or mess with corals

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back