Good Corals?

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellooo. So I recently set up a 10g. I'm new to nano and reefing in general, all my past salt waters have been fish only. So, what are some good corals to add to my 10g that are suitable for it? Maybe that grow fast? Not gsp though :) Also, anemones, friend or foe? Might get a small clown fish and move him once he outgrows it. Should I just stick with an elegance?

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with elegance has been poor. I would look at slow growers. Fast growers are more likely to zap calcium, alk, other goodies from the water faster than you can make it up. Favia, candy cane, lobophyllia and trachyphyllia come to mind. Awesome color, and pretty forgiving as far as corals go.

There are also some pretty awesome soft corals too. Mushrooms, zoanthids, and yellow polyps were always a favorite of mine.

I am shy of anemones just because if one gets into a powerhead or your filter, it is likely to die and poison a small tank like that, plus they will move around and sting your other corals. As an alternative, look at some of the euphyllia species. Torch looks the most like an anemone, and an orange morph is available. Hammer and frogspawn are great looking too. I have even seen clown fish host in all three euphyllia species, although I would say it is rare.

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with elegance has been poor. I would look at slow growers. Fast growers are more likely to zap calcium, alk, other goodies from the water faster than you can make it up. Favia, candy cane, lobophyllia and trachyphyllia come to mind. Awesome color, and pretty forgiving as far as corals go.

There are also some pretty awesome soft corals too. Mushrooms, zoanthids, and yellow polyps were always a favorite of mine.

I am shy of anemones just because if one gets into a powerhead or your filter, it is likely to die and poison a small tank like that, plus they will move around and sting your other corals. As an alternative, look at some of the euphyllia species. Torch looks the most like an anemone, and an orange morph is available. Hammer and frogspawn are great looking too. I have even seen clown fish host in all three euphyllia species, although I would say it is rare.
Well my power head is sort of weird. it only has one opening in the water and that shoots the water out for lack of better words, lol. I have sponges on all the other things that 'suck up water' in my tank. Does this change anything for the anemone? I'm not set on getting an anemone or anything, I'm just curious :) I'm really interested in rhodactus mushrooms and zoanthids, I think they're really cool looking. What about pulsing/ waving xenia? I've done a fair amount of research, but I got a concussion recently and have a really hard time remembering things, lol.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my power head is sort of weird. it only has one opening in the water and that shoots the water out for lack of better words, lol. I have sponges on all the other things that 'suck up water' in my tank. Does this change anything for the anemone? I'm not set on getting an anemone or anything, I'm just curious :) I'm really interested in rhodactus mushrooms and zoanthids, I think they're really cool looking. What about pulsing/ waving xenia? I've done a fair amount of research, but I got a concussion recently and have a really hard time remembering things, lol.

Sort of, I would either do an anemone specific tank, or corals without anemones. Even if it never gets stuck in a powerhead, it will "walk around" and sting anyone it comes into contact with.

The xenia is an amazing coral to keep, and I say everyone should keep some at some point, but it can have a population explosion, and I would personally not keep any in anything under 40 gallons - just because that stuff can grow so fast, it out-competes other corals, and even itself for elements. In small tanks, it is susceptible to sudden colony crashes, and if the colony is large enough, fouling the water.

The exception to the 40 gallon recommendation would be to keep the colony small, and stay on top of water changes. If you did that, I can't see a reason that you couldn't keep it in a 10 gallon.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try leathers (Sarcophyton and Lobophytum), Kenya trees, sinularia, colts, etc which are all relatively easy to keep and with the exception if the kenya tree are not overly invasive

OP
OP
jordan be

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try leathers (Sarcophyton and Lobophytum), Kenya trees, sinularia, colts, etc which are all relatively easy to keep and with the exception if the kenya tree are not overly invasive
So another rock for the kenya tree by itself?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another rock for the kenya tree by itself?
Yes isolate it as best as possible. They can drop branches which will take root somewhere else. Downside it spreads like a wildfire. Benefit, free frags and you don't need to do anything

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes isolate it as best as possible. They can drop branches which will take root somewhere else. Downside it spreads like a wildfire. Benefit, free frags and you don't need to do anything
I made the mistake of adding a Kenya Tree and it's been a pest as it drops branches and spreads througout the tank. U can search on Liveaquaria based on coral care levels etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back