Good day guys and girls.

Marnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a bit off advise and your opinions.

My wife and I are moving to a bigger place outside town so I am planing to upgrade from my reefer 525xl to a custom build 750 gallon peninsula mixed reef, sps dominant
I want to have a lot of fish in there so the bioload is going to be high.
I am putting a bubble magus B12 skimmer plus 3 diy media reactors in the sump.
I am planing to make the sump 25% of the display tanks volume.

What Equipment do you sagest I put in to be able to handle the big bioload?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll have to consider a combination of both mechanical and biological filtration methods to handle a large bioload

In my S650 which has massive load i use Nopox, marine pure blocks and lots of seachem matrix along with 5% water weekly changes

rowaphos deals with phosphate control

You could also look at a refugium but personally i dont like them

OP
OP
Marnus

Marnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oky. I use the redsea program at the moment but stoped with the nopox. I will look at it in the new tank. I thought of running matrix in 2 reactors and bio pellets in 1 reactor. I want to do continues water changes every day. Only 1% per dag or so.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oky. I use the redsea program at the moment but stoped with the nopox. I will look at it in the new tank. I thought of running matrix in 2 reactors and bio pellets in 1 reactor. I want to do continues water changes every day. Only 1% per dag or so.
You dont really need a reactor for Seachem matrix, I just have it in the seachem zip bags in the sump and you could also look at DeNitrate if you have a slower area of flow. I also use some of this.

You can increase the methods as you go. In my new system of 530usg I have around 10 litres of Matrix in already but I’m waiting for nitrates to go above about 5ppm and then I have another 16 litres of matrix and 4 litres of DeNitrate to go in when required

OP
OP
Marnus

Marnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oky I understand. I think I will do that.
do hou have a lot of fish in your tank or is it still to new?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula tanks are great, but on the viewing side it can get tricky to get adequate flow while still giving it a clean look. I am thinking of adding a much larger tank as well with an abundance of large fish and have been giving the filtration a lot of thought. I am definitely going to have a biopellet reactor, large skimmer, DIY ATS, chaeto, and most of the sump filled with live rock. I would also have the inlet of the sump have 6-10 filter socks and would regularly use lanthanum chloride. I have noticed some fish are very sensitive to nitrates and phosphates. The phosphates one makes little sense to me, but my harlequin tusk definitely starts becoming lethargic when my phosphates start rising. This might just be a weird behavior with this particular fish. Also having a large holding tank for saltwater would be helpful in case you have to do a massive water change.

OP
OP
Marnus

Marnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have planned for 6 filter socks in the sump and a 100 liter tank for fresh saltwater.
Attached is a simple drawing that I started te make to keep the flow good and being able to have a great view of the tank.
The closed loop pipes will come through the base with bulkheads and be hidden within the rocks.

ED3012CA-9339-445F-AC48-CD3C4985BE6E.jpeg AD780331-48CD-432F-8BC5-DEC1EE37F7FF.jpeg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very smart way to handle the flow and keep it clean. I am curious if it will be enough for a SPS tank.

OP
OP
Marnus

Marnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very smart way to handle the flow and keep it clean. I am curious if it will be enough for a SPS tank.
The plan is to put a return pump of 13000 lph.
On the closed loop system there will be three pumps. Two 13000 lph and one 10000 lph.
I think and hope that it will be enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back