Good experience with KP Aquatics

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I got sick of looking at ugly marco rock so ordered and received a 20 lb shipment of KP Aquatic's "Starter" Aquacultured Liverock earlier today. I am very satisfied with the shipment. It was packaged well (wet papertowls in large durable plastic bag), and in just a couple minutes of observation, I noticed a couple of different snails, a fairly large feather duster, a brittle star (not the mini variety, looked to be a 2-4").

Maybe I was just getting bad liverock a decade ago, but this rivals anything I purchased from my LFS back in the day. I also remember that liverock being around $6-8 per pound which is very similar for KP's "starter" rock.

I am curious what people think of this crab -- he was in the bag so I scooped him out and have him in a holding container for now. I'm leaning toward tossing him back into the tank I am cycling everything in unless someone believes he's going to be a bad one. (For what it's worth, I generally just keep soft corals). Thanks!

crab.jpg

rock.jpg

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The black claws look like a gorilla crab. I have kept them in a tank and they killed nothing, in fact I did find one dead that I believe got too close to a mantis.

You will find stuff in the rock for a long time to come, gulf rock is awesome!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the exact scientific or marine biology or latin name but we do generalize with gorilla crab. Yes, that is what it is as I have one. In my recent order from KP I received along with the amazing rock and service:

1. 8 red mitrax crabs (all in display happy)
2. 2 gorilla crabs (one in refugium, one in overflow box)
3. 2 decorator type crabs (both in refugium, one has since passed or been preyed upon)
4. 1 unknown went down the drain before I could catch it :(

The gorilla crab is rather interesting because the one in the overflow box produces a lot of eggs so it is like a constant source of food for the display. Really happy with it. My overflow box is rather large with a lot of rubble in it so good for it and a nice safe spot.

KP rock, similar to TBS, is a gift that keeps on giving as noted above.

OP
OP
R

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till you start seeing the mantis shrimp

Hah! Fortunately, I'll be keeping the rock separate for up to 6 months in its own 20g long tank. Should be fun finding what's been hidden inside. I can confirm there is a decent 3-4" brittle star as I spotted it moving between rocks last night. Very satisfied with KP!

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C
Hi all,

I got sick of looking at ugly marco rock so ordered and received a 20 lb shipment of KP Aquatic's "Starter" Aquacultured Liverock earlier today. I am very satisfied with the shipment. It was packaged well (wet papertowls in large durable plastic bag), and in just a couple minutes of observation, I noticed a couple of different snails, a fairly large feather duster, a brittle star (not the mini variety, looked to be a 2-4").

Maybe I was just getting bad liverock a decade ago, but this rivals anything I purchased from my LFS back in the day. I also remember that liverock being around $6-8 per pound which is very similar for KP's "starter" rock.

I am curious what people think of this crab -- he was in the bag so I scooped him out and have him in a holding container for now. I'm leaning toward tossing him back into the tank I am cycling everything in unless someone believes he's going to be a bad one. (For what it's worth, I generally just keep soft corals). Thanks!

crab.jpg

rock.jpg
Can you post some pics of your KP Rock? Was it premium or base? Thx!

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep KP rock rules! You'll find stuff you don't want but that's part of the fun. You'll also get stuff you do want and makes a more natural aquarium-ecosystem --- tunicates and sponges and bivalves galore.. 30 different kinds of sponges..

I have had my 25lb for almost two years... still find a few surprises. Spotted a bobbit worm a few weeks ago.. was about 9". Luckily was in a small 2lb rock in front (have around 240lb of rock total... )
.. have found numerous crabs, pencil urchins. Super cool!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back