Good morning America just contact me about my palytoxin experience.

runzwithscissors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They picked it up on a local station here in the Detroit area yesterday. Their station's resident "Dr" warning people of the hazards of aquariums, especially "saltwater". Covered the toxin thing...

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a bad idea...our hobby is hated and misunderstood by so many people. I cannot see how this will do anything but hurt it. I'd tell GMA go to find an ambulance to chase.

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am I guess what you could call a partially seasoned noob. I have been out of the hobby for years and recently trying to relearn and research all that has changed ( A LOT) but I know that it wouldn't stop me from enjoying this wonderful hobby.

Now as we have seen in this thread already that a large number of us already know (because of at LEAST a partially functioning brain) that this will not end well or go well. But how bad do we really think it will get. I believe that there are a lot of companies in the hobby that make a good living off of us and would not want this hobby to go away either. I believe they could run campaigns to fix the negative. Do I like the fact that they would have to WASTE money to fix a problem that should have and could have been avoided in the first place? No. But even if we had to do everything from the black market... You will find me there ;)

This is NO WAY is a confession of me using black market merchandise, or will.. I have enough proof to form a case of insanity if question and accused of future saltwater black market purchases when this blows up in our faces.

runzwithscissors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just glad they didn't also cover; stings from lion fish, grabbing a bristle or fire worm, getting sliced from a tang, getting electrocuted from a heater going bad, getting fingers raked to hamburger by eels, people having allergic reactions from nem stings or having your spouse hit you in the head for buying more coral or fish...........

and for the record, I only boil my rock until tender, then add veggies...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from New Jersey where organized crime is alive and living very well.....however, it's now called politics. Politicians enjoy redirecting the important issues by writing useless laws. I could easily see certain politicians jumping on this and writing a bill....probably call Mario's Law....to ban this menace to society.

My opinion....this isn't going to be good.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just glad they didn't also cover; stings from lion fish, grabbing a bristle or fire worm, getting sliced from a tang, getting electrocuted from a heater going bad, getting fingers raked to hamburger by eels, people having allergic reactions from nem stings or having your spouse hit you in the head for buying more coral or fish...........

and for the record, I only boil my rock until tender, then add veggies...
I am sure the OP will get a Lion Fish and name it Cecil. He will then stick his hand in the tank and get stung by it. That will be the next article. "Cecil the Lion Fish Stings Owner in Revenge"

Joe Ftw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you guys are okay. I'll never boil my rocks after reading your story. I think you should decline the interview, this will not be good for the hobby. The general public won't know what to think about this and it won't matter what you say.... Your story will be spun to catch attention.

Last edited:

Chefbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe ftw, he is NOT declining the interview. He knows better than everyone else (except 2). What everyone seems to forget or not realize is the general population is incredibly stupid. Look at all the people that think gluten-free is a health craze. People will think what they want to think no matter the evidence or intelligence that they are faced with. Do I believe this interview will do more harm than good? Yes. Do I believe it will have a lasting effect? No. But it will be one more log on the fire when this blows up.

Joe Ftw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe ftw, he is NOT declining the interview. He knows better than everyone else (except 2). What everyone seems to forget or not realize is the general population is incredibly stupid. Look at all the people that think gluten-free is a health craze. People will think what they want to think no matter the evidence or intelligence that they are faced with. Do I believe this interview will do more harm than good? Yes. Do I believe it will have a lasting effect? No. But it will be one more log on the fire when this blows up.

Yeah I realized he didn't decline the interview and edited my post.

EzraZamir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I read the article. How is this NOT abnormal reefing behavior? It's not like they did NOTHING and found palytoxin in their house. This stuff doesn't just come out of a tank. Oh, and last time I came home with 70 pounds of coral, and dumped a few on the floor and stepped on them was....NEVER?!?!?!

On August 11, 2014, at 10:30 p.m., a relative of patient A transferred 70 pounds (32 kg) of live coral from a plastic container into patient A's 200-gallon (758-L) aquarium in his 1,600-square-foot (149 square-meter) mobile home. During the transfer, several coral fragments fell to the floor, causing some of the live polyps to break off.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I read the article. How is this NOT abnormal reefing behavior? It's not like they did NOTHING and found palytoxin in their house. This stuff doesn't just come out of a tank. Oh, and last time I came home with 70 pounds of coral, and dumped a few on the floor and stepped on them was....NEVER?!?!?!

On August 11, 2014, at 10:30 p.m., a relative of patient A transferred 70 pounds (32 kg) of live coral from a plastic container into patient A's 200-gallon (758-L) aquarium in his 1,600-square-foot (149 square-meter) mobile home. During the transfer, several coral fragments fell to the floor, causing some of the live polyps to break off.

Sound like Walter White made up a story to cover his mobile home business.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poisons came in different sizes and shapes. A regular house have hundreds of poisons and all are permited. You can extract cyanide from apple seeds . With the right knowledge.
Just need to labbel better or advice the implications of having palytoxin corals and reef corals with potencial dangers and of course be carefull about it.
Ban is the worst option.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back