Good morning America just contact me about my palytoxin experience.

OP
OP
Superrmario

Superrmario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for their insight. It is very meaningful.

I have asked questions in regarding who is also involved other than myself. I was told that there are a doctor's who are also being interviewed as well as the guys from ATM.

They are coming tomorrow to film. I will ask the producer prior to the interview what questions will be asked and then assess.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes the whole idea is to put a negative spin on this. How there is no government regulations and people are allowed to have this deadly poison in their tanks.

I know the OP wants to warn people about the hazard of palytoxin. Bit the audience is not interested in learning that. The audience is more interested in why this type of poison os not regulated

Good luck and thanks. You could be the start of banning of all palys for the reefing community

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in the news nowadays is too politically correct or shifted to make things look a certain way. The news should be a neutral zone, but they side and will cherry pick and shift things around to get their point of view across. I wouldn't touch it. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Kurt Copeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. The media is trying to ban my DJI quad copter and now they are trying to make my aquarium illegal, too.

LOL

*sigh*

If you do it, PLEASE be careful what you say. They're going to edit it all anyway.

filek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next thing you know, extra extra read all about it : "Zoanthid poisoned a reefer, and still legal"

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite everyone saying not to I think you should! This way you can explain that the hobby is not dangerous just precautions need to be made that's all. As with many hobbies. Also tell them that your experience informed many people in the saltwater community from newbies to veterans! Good luck stay postive about the hobby and how it's not dangerous when you are cautious!

OP
OP
Superrmario

Superrmario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and thanks. You could be the start of banning of all palys for the reefing community

I assumed this type of comment would surface at some point and that is okay.

The CDC is already aware of the toxin based on the individuals in Alaska that were sickened. Not much further you can go than getting a government funded entity to publish something about it.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

Yep. The media is trying to ban my DJI quad copter and now they are trying to make my aquarium illegal, too.

LOL

*sigh*

If you do it, PLEASE be careful what you say. They're going to edit it all anyway.

I will... I love my reef.

BTW, I fly RC Heli's and Large scale 30-46% airplanes. We are under heavy scrutiny. I get it...

Next thing you know, extra extra read all about it : "Zoanthid poisoned a reefer, and still legal"

Dogs and cats can transmit many parasites and worms that could kill a human. They are still legal...

When is the segment scheduled to air?

Wednesday morning.

I think this will do nothing but hurt the hobby and industry as well. Guess everyone needs their 15 minutes of fame. :/

Not interested in the fame of it. I am interested in the people that are unaware much like a previous post by someone.

OP
OP
Superrmario

Superrmario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite everyone saying not to I think you should! This way you can explain that the hobby is not dangerous just precautions need to be made that's all. As with many hobbies. Also tell them that your experience informed many people in the saltwater community from newbies to veterans! Good luck stay postive about the hobby and how it's not dangerous when you are cautious!

Dave.. This was the purpose of my initial post on a form. Become aware, learn, consult.

Thank you.

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i like the education aspect of it. Im very glad I know the dangers of palythoa toxin.

I will re beat the dead horse by saying the media will twist and edit your words and footage to go whichever way they want.

I guess if this media attention ruins the zoa/paly hobby we'll know who to blame! ;)

Kurt Copeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! Just be aware...They will ask you two things:

1. They will ask you to relive the horror in detail.

2. They will ask you your take on how you were able to resolve the situation and what can be done to prevent it.

Then, they will emphasize the first part and edit out the second part.

http://www.theonion.com/r/16928

Not to down play the importance of what happened to you and your family, just that they will wreak havoc with anything you can give them.

OP
OP
Superrmario

Superrmario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i like the education aspect of it. Im very glad I know the dangers of palythoa toxin.

I will re beat the dead horse by saying the media will twist and edit your words and footage to go whichever way they want.

I guess if this media attention ruins the zoa/paly hobby we'll know who to blame! ;)

Would you like to keep my mouth shut and let the media run with what the CDC has already provided as I have been made aware the segment is going to run with or without me? I can at least try to defend it.

I doubt the former would be better. ;)

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is a bad idea. And all but one have shared their similar opinions stating the same. Sounds like you'll get your 15 minutes of fame, and the media will have the uneducated masses in a panic because they will believe doomsday is here in the form of a killer coral. In reality, the news will completely distort your interview, and probably make you look foolish. Good luck with all that.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh don't do dumb stuff is the moral of the thread, only interest these people would have is to help make laws against corals and to believe what someone tells you when they well make money off your story is about as dumb as boiling a rock of Poly's in your kitchen ..... less your starved for the attention don't do it , the people you wonna help well read on advance aquarists the people they wonna trick into hurting the hobby well see it on good morning America, nuff said

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question yes. Remember they can edit any comments taking 2 end pieces leaving out the middle making you say something you never intended. They are not your friend. Since you are set on doing this let us know when it airs so we can see how you did. I doubt it will be pretty as they have a global warming agenda and are trying to ban the hobby. Good luck..

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fail to see how this could be used for good. If anything it will make people scared of the hobby, and potentially cause those that know nothing about the hobby to help push legislation to ban the hobby all together. I don't mean to offend , but in my opinion your experience appears to be due to the fact that failed to research the proper way to clean your rock of unwanted pests , not due to the hobby being dangerous. You tried to take a method used in a different hobby without looking into the possible negative outcomes. Any hobby , or daily activity can be dangerous and possibly even life threatening if decisions are made without considering the consequences . I don't feel that GMA is the appropriate media to get your message across , but to each his own. Instead , why not get with someone like advanced aquarist , reef hobbyist magazine , etc. and write an informative article about your experience , and what you could have done differently, that has the potential to educate those that truly care about the hobby instead of possibly arming those that could care less (even if done unintentionally).

OP
OP
Superrmario

Superrmario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is a bad idea. And all but one have shared their similar opinions stating the same. Sounds like you'll get your 15 minutes of fame, and the media will have the uneducated masses in a panic because they will believe doomsday is here in the form of a killer coral. In reality, the news will completely distort your interview, and probably make you look foolish. Good luck with all that.

As stated before. Not looking for fame, yet I understand where you and some of the others are coming from.

Again. I could certainly keep my mouth shut and let the CDC run with what they have already publicized.

I am willing to take the risk on my own terms for what I believe. If the Government wants to do something, they will do it no matter what you want.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back