Good Products to Feed Softies

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what any of you would recommend for feeding soft corals. I am considering red sea reef energy to give my softies and zoas some of the nutrition they need. Should I try the red sea product or something else more specific towards softies?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what any of you would recommend for feeding soft corals. I am considering red sea reef energy to give my softies and zoas some of the nutrition they need. Should I try the red sea product or something else more specific towards softies?

Our Oyster-Feast and Roti-Feast are a very good source of nutrition for soft corals. The feeds are in the appropriate size range for this coral type and can be target fed or broadcasted in the tank.
You can find our products in stores, or, if you don't have a store near you that carries our products, you can buy from us online. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Chad

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Oyster-Feast and Roti-Feast are a very good source of nutrition for soft corals. The feeds are in the appropriate size range for this coral type and can be target fed or broadcasted in the tank.
You can find our products in stores, or, if you don't have a store near you that carries our products, you can buy from us online. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Chad
These look good too. Im sure all of my corals will respond well to those.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all softies. 2 gold torches, 2 frogspawns, candy cane, pulsing Xenia, 16 zoanthids. I use Reefroids. Rastas had 4 polyps from June 2016. 7 polyps in December. Using Reefroids 2x a week at half the dose broadcasted. Now there is 40+.
Candy cane went from 2 bells in June. To 4 in DEC. Now 15.
Radio Active Dragon Eyes went from 7 polyps in Dec to now 60+.
True Actinic also, because lighting is feeding.
Reefchili is also another great selection. Here is why.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont plan on skimming. How do less water changes help?
Softies will absorb/consume dissolved organic compounds(DOC) from the water. Water changes remove some organics. Less water changes = more DOC's.
I have all softies. 2 gold torches, 2 frogspawns, candy cane, pulsing Xenia, 16 zoanthids. I use Reefroids. Rastas had 4 polyps from June 2016. 7 polyps in December. Using Reefroids 2x a week at half the dose broadcasted. Now there is 40+.

FWIW the term 'softies' refers to corals without a skeleton, zoas, mushrooms, leathers. Torches, frogspawn, and candy canes all have skeletons, so aren't truly softies. As such, their needs and how they consume food varies to a degree from that of true softies.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies will absorb/consume dissolved organic compounds(DOC) from the water. Water changes remove some organics. Less water changes = more DOC's.

FWIW the term 'softies' refers to corals without a skeleton, zoas, mushrooms, leathers. Torches, frogspawn, and candy canes all have skeletons, so aren't truly softies. As such, their needs and how they consume food varies to a degree from that of true softies.
Yes I know this. Just like there is LPS & SPS that are called them that are not them. Just a general term for the reefing community. If it is soft and fluffy. It's a softy to me:). Candy canes like something meaty, but not necessary. I have 16 zoas that love Reefroids and show it.
FWIW I feed my fish heavy, skim all the time, and do more water changes keeping the water parameters in check so I do not need to dose or have reactors. Water out of the tap being filtered and mixed with salt is a lot easier to have always on stock than this that and any other thing, because we don't take care of fish and corals. We take care of water;)

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont have too many zoas but a food that they respond too is cool. How do you know they actually eat it?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 7 radio active dragon eyes to start in December. Now 62. 6 months 55 polyps.
Rastas 7. Now 42. They are slow growers.
Anything Polyp Labs is a positive impact on the growth of coral.
If you target feed Zoas. They do not like it. They go into protection mode.
Watch the video ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back