Good RO/DI Filter System?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved this to the equipment forum for better response. I can't speak to the unit linked, but am a huge fan of Spectrapure units. There are a lot of folks that use the BRS systems as well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I looked at ebay model in the link and the first thing I noticed was the undersized di resin container. Also no auto shut off, tds meters, or pressure gauge. Then there's the 50 gpd membrane.
IMO you should spend a little more and get some of the needed features that come standard at places like Bulk Reef Supply, Buckeye Hydro, Spectrapure, or Melevsreef.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for spectrapure and as @mfinn stated above you will be much better suited with an even slightly larger system with more appropriate features for your needs. PSI gauges and TDS Meters are pretty important for us reefers to maintain solid water quality and help narrow down any issues that might come up. I'm guessing you would rather figure out your DI Resin is depleted when you see numbers rising on a screen than cyno and GHA growing in your tank;)

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any unit from Spectrapure, BRS or Buckeye would be a solid choice. I have a Spectrapure 3 stage unit, its OLD and basic but it works really well and Spectrapure has great CS.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with THIS UNIT from BRS. THEY ARE ON SALE TODAY ONLY! You need some items not included in that eBay one, plus you'll have issues when you replace the DI resin because you'll need a completely new canister.

Like others said, you need a psi gauge to know how much water pressure you have. You want a standard sized DI canister for use and so you don't have to buy another canister, you also need a flush valve that can be turned on and off. It's also better to have an inline tds meter so you you know how good or bad the water is before and after filters. This unit comes with a dual meter unfortunately, because the Tri meter is better, but it's better than nothing. You can always move the tds probes around. As it's setup, it'll be before the di resin and after it, but it's always good to know what the source water is because it changes at different times of the day.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back