Good self-adhesive plain black background?

HotCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I need to vinyl wrap my tank and I was wondering what brand some of you use? I would like it to be self-adhesive for easy application, but I'm also open to finding a good glue with a reliable standard vinyl. I've never done a background on any of my tanks (previously freshwater), but I've seen the way it makes the corals and fish pop so i want that too. Thanks for the input!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Congratulations on your first post!

Are you positive you don't want to paint the back? Maybe someone with more experience with vinyl will chime in, but on the few occasions I've had a tank with a vinyl background, invariable over a number of years I start to notice air bubbles or salt creep between the vinyl and the glass.

OP
OP
H

HotCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Congratulations on your first post!

Are you positive you don't want to paint the back? Maybe someone with more experience with vinyl will chime in, but on the few occasions I've had a tank with a vinyl background, invariable over a number of years I start to notice air bubbles or salt creep between the vinyl and the glass.
Thanks for the response! Can I still paint it while I have inhabitants? I sadly didnt think it through and do it before set up.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely paint the back...way easier in the long run. I think you can do it while the tank is up and running...cover the tank so nothing can splash into it and be careful with the roller to keep splatter from going everywhere...and have good ventilation since you will obviously be doing this indoors.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries there! I've painted two with inhabitants still in them. You have to take precautions and I'd obviously avoid spray paints and the such, but I did one with acrlyic paint and one with a low VOC oil paint without any issues. I'd probably run some extra carbon, open all the windows, and ensure the paint doesn't get anywhere near the water (or ideally cover the top of the tank temporarily to avoid any accidents).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back