Good "Show Fish" for a 65 gallon?

CelestEel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Golden Angel? I recently found out about these and fell in love.

1600991675724.png

But I am not sure if he would nip your coral a bunch or not. And only $300-ish :cool:
Golden angels are gorgeous!

CelestEel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little pricey for my blood!!!
A "little" pricey? ...for a dwarf angel? That's robbery! But OP did say "show fish." Still, if you're going to give up three or four thousand bucks you can probably do better than a dwarf angel that will eventually get a taste for your corals.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1600991675724.png

But I am not sure if he would nip your coral a bunch or not. And only $300-ish :cool:
This fish is beautiful. I need to do a little more research because it seems like some sites are saying they are more shy than the other Pygmy angels.
Does anyone Have experience keeping one of these?

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is beautiful. I need to do a little more research because it seems like some sites are saying they are more shy than the other Pygmy angels.
Does anyone Have experience keeping one of these?

I did read there might be some issues with collection. Potentially one of the species that is frequently collected with chemicals but don't qoute me on that.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "little" pricey? ...for a dwarf angel? That's robbery! But OP did say "show fish." Still, if you're going to give up three or four thousand bucks you can probably do better than a dwarf angel that will eventually get a taste for your corals.
I heard that!!!! That’s very true!!!!! No doubt!!!
I recently visited the Dallas aquarium and they had a pair in one of the exhibits. Very beautiful fish, but not 4,000$ beautiful. Lol!!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1600991675724.png

I loved these too but they spend most of their time hiding among the rocks. Very skittish.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a toby puffer of some sort (deeper water species don't bother corals as as much, and they leave euphyllias alone anyway) could be a really cool addition, as well as the pygmy angel (Potters is my suggestion) would look awesome. One last fish could be a sunburst anthias or similar species.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang might get a little big.
But those tangs are great workers.
+1 for 6 line wrasse.
Tailspot blenny

Alternatives might be White-tailed and YellowEye Kole tang or Square tailed Bristletooth because they stay less than 8 inches. .., 4 line wrasse or 8 line wrasse.. Different and not all that cheap really but do the same things a 6 line would. Bicolor Blenny has a little more brightness to them than the tailspot.. though tailspot is my favorite of the blennies

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my reef tank fishless for the time being. However, I'm starting to miss seeing fish swimming around. If I do end up putting fish in my aquarium again, I'm think I'll go with 1-3 "show fish." That said, I have no idea what a good show fish for a 65 gallon (dimensions: 36" L x 18" W x 24" D ) reef tank would be. Any suggestions?

Pic of my tank for reference:
65 Progression Pic #8.JPG
Love your DT. What are the fluffy pink corals in the back and the one on the right hand front side?

OP
OP
Bubbles!

Bubbles!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your DT. What are the fluffy pink corals in the back and the one on the right hand front side?

No idea XD My guess is it's a Euphyllia of some sort. Whatever the case, it grows insanely fast. All of the pink Euphyllia corals in my tank are frags from the main colony. When I first got it two years ago, the main colony (the massive coral on the left) was a little smaller than the pink coral on the left.

Yeah, they’re usually around 4,000 per fish. Divers den has a blemish on sale for like 2,399.00 :oops:!!!
A little pricey for my blood!!!

Holy carp that's a lot. Gorgeous fish, but that price tag is too much o_O

I've seen those in Diver's Den a few times. Beautiful fish! A bit too expensive though. The most I'm willing to pay for a single fish is around a $100 or so.

I hear "show fish" and I usually think of something large and flashy, but elegant. With that, what're your thoughts on comets/marine bettas, smaller lionfish (fu manchus, dwarfs, fuzzies, etc), or toby puffers?

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you have any experience with those kinds of fish?

Don't have a recommendation, but I do love your tank!

Thank you!

I think a toby puffer of some sort (deeper water species don't bother corals as as much, and they leave euphyllias alone anyway) could be a really cool addition, as well as the pygmy angel (Potters is my suggestion) would look awesome. One last fish could be a sunburst anthias or similar species.
Green clown goby, Flasher wrasse, flame hawkfish, and orchid dottyback are all cool
fish.
Agree with the Flame Hawk. Beautiful red color, very fun to watch them perch from rock to rock.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into these fish for sure

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about something like a splendid dottyback? Beautiful fish and you don't have to worry about aggression issues if it's alone

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 58 (shorter 65), I had a bunch of wrasses in it - Melanarus, Iridis, Solarensis, and a Cyanopleura if I remember correctly. The Iridis and Melanarus are probably out because of barebottom - Fairy wrasses are probably a good choice.

The nice thing about fairy wrasses over dwarf angels, or a lot of the other suggestions is that they won't bother anything. Won't touch corals, won't eat shrimp, and they're active open water swimmers.

I agree. I love wrasses. However, I think that without a sand bed my wrasse would be pretty stressed most of the time.

Fairies and flashers aren't sand sleeping wrasses. They don't care in the least about sand.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my reef tank fishless for the time being. However, I'm starting to miss seeing fish swimming around. If I do end up putting fish in my aquarium again, I'm think I'll go with 1-3 "show fish." That said, I have no idea what a good show fish for a 65 gallon (dimensions: 36" L x 18" W x 24" D ) reef tank would be. Any suggestions?

Pic of my tank for reference:
65 Progression Pic #8.JPG
100% Fairy Wrasses. In my experience, they're much more hardy than many fish we keep. I have a yellowband velvet wrasse, and it's stunning. Also have the Splendid Pintail wrasse and Flame wrasse. There's also the lineatus or 90% of the fairy wrasses lol. Do a quick search for a compatability chart @evolved made on here for mixing if you want. They're amazing fish that literally eat out of your hand. They're gorgeous. I saw someone else mention a Whitetail Bristletooth tang, which I'd also vote for. One of the smaller tangs out there. With coral, I don't think I'd take the gamble with pygmy angels, but I'd 100% get an angelfish of the genus genicanthus. They're the only angels considered to be reef safe.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Fairy Wrasses. In my experience, they're much more hardy than many fish we keep. I have a yellowband velvet wrasse, and it's stunning. Also have the Splendid Pintail wrasse and Flame wrasse. There's also the lineatus or 90% of the fairy wrasses lol. Do a quick search for a compatability chart @evolved made on here for mixing if you want.
However, 3 of the 4 you mention are not suitable for a 65g tank. ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back