Good skimmer for 40 gallons?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? I have a 40g tank, plus a sump. I used a Reef Octopus Classic 110INT which worked great. A while back I upgraded to a Reef Octopus Regal 150INT, for no real reason other than I had some money to burn and wanted to upgrade to a DC pump.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually could I just use this HOB one? HOB stuff should still work fine on a sump right?
I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't. Just make sure it hangs down low enough to reach the water. Those are meant to go on DTs and sumps aren't generally filled up anywhere near the top.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? I have a 40g tank, plus a sump. I used a Reef Octopus Classic 110INT which worked great. A while back I upgraded to a Reef Octopus Regal 150INT, for no real reason other than I had some money to burn and wanted to upgrade to a DC pump.
No I am just in the planning stages at the moment. I know most people dont like this but I just want a sump to fit my equipment. If I could do a 5.5 gallon sump I would but I think its more realistic I go for a 10 gallon sump.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaMaxx hob worked great for me.
would it fit on a 10g sump?
I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't. Just make sure it hangs down low enough to reach the water. Those are meant to go on DTs and sumps aren't generally filled up anywhere near the top.
Yeah... I uh never have done a sump before and forgot about water level... is there a way to control how high it fills. would 10 gallons be enough if not I might just go for the FC-80 since that's made to be in the sump?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I uh never have done a sump before and forgot about water level... is there a way to control how high it fills. would 10 gallons be enough if not I might just go for the FC-80 since that's made to be in the sump?
The sump will fill to the height of the last baffle before the return chamber (or higher, I guess, if it's overfilled). In fact, that last baffle is often adjustable for just that reason.

If you're using a little tiny sump with no baffles, than the height is going to depend on how much water is in the system and how fast the return, and depending on your overflow setup, how much water the return pump is moving.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back