Lars' 93G rimless

sczlars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R people,

Here is the current state of my tank, as of yesterday. It is a Keith Grandt 93G rimless, starfire glass. The most high end aquarium I've owned. I bought it used a few years back (2014) and after a lot of procrastination got it set up after our house move. It has an external overflow plumbed BeanAnimal style. Currently it has a (too small) HOB skimmer, and the sump contains a sulfur denitrator and a GFO reactor. Abyzz return pump and Apex controller, Kessil lights. I run a Tuna Sun along with the blue lights, as I really like theat combination. It is currently in a sort of "restart stage" for corals, as there was a bit of a meltdown, and I'm now finally getting my nutrient issues sorted out. The 3 tangs have been with me for 10-11 years. There is a pair of clownfish that are wondering where all their anemones went, and a C. nox dwarf angel.

FTS_202302.jpg

Reason for the denitrator: my nitrates were just out of control and no way I could do enough water changes. This was always a problem with this tank. I wish I had heard about this device sooner; I found out about it via youtube. My nitrates have gone from 75+ down to around 3 in a few months. Phosphates; I brought them down with Lanthanum, and am now trying to stabilize at around 0.1 with GFO. The rocks are still leaching quite a lot. PO4 used to be at 5+. I'll dig up a photo of the tank when it kinda "peaked", before the cnidarian meltdown. There is currently some purple stuff on the sand. A week ago it was ugly brown stuff (diatoms?), which now seems to have gone away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sczlars

sczlars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peak tank in 2019, some time before the Anemones vs Nepthea war (at least I think that's what happened). A water change seemed to trigger some massive unhappiness, and they kindof nuked the tank. Here you can also see my C. nox. These used to be just one anemone, lol.

FTS_20190817.jpg

OP
OP
sczlars

sczlars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

Weekend splurge; one of my Kessils was broken. I replaced it with an a500x, which really makes a stunningly gorgeous light. I'm combining this with a small "tuna Sun" for 6500k mix. I'm not a fan of the blue blue.. Ideally I should have two of these lamps, but that is just too much money for now. I want this tank to be like my earlier 40 breeder with mixed sps/lps/nems, etc.

Other tasks: I replaced all the GFO with 250g fresh RowaPhos, replaced the filter floss of the SulfurDenitrator.

This morning, my Neptune apex crashed completely. I had to re-initialize it to factory defaults, and set everything up again. It had hung a couple of times previously to this, after changing some settings, but always came back fine. Not this time! The system has worked flawlessly otherwise, for some 5-6 years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back